Should I contact the organization? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I contact the organization?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 1:01 pm

So I was hired to work at a non-profit this summer, and they never provided details about my start date. I sent them a brief email in early-April asking when they wanted me to start. They said that they would "be in touch with the details of my start date." Now, it's been a month, and I haven't heard anything from them.

Should I email again asking about my start date? I don't want to be a nuisance, but I mean I kind of need to know my start date...or should I just continue waiting?

RCSOB657

Gold

Re: Should I contact the organization?

Post by RCSOB657 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:11 pm

Probably

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Mon May 08, 2017 2:57 pm

Not-for-profits are often understaffed so expect them to be very slow with admin stuff at times.

If I were you, I'd just call (not email) the person over there that you have been dealing with. You've waited like 4-5 weeks already - you are surely not pestering. If you say something like, "I am terribly sorry to bother you, I know you told us a few weeks ago that you'd be in touch as we get closer to summer, and you must be extremely busy. However, I have to make [living arrangements, travel plans, whatever] very soon. Have you decided on the start dates yet? If you haven't, I can follow up with you in a week." No reasonable person would be offended by that.

Whyjd

New

Post by Whyjd » Mon May 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Alternative option: Decide on a start date that would suit you, and message them to ask if it works for them. The less emailing back and forth, the better.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon May 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Whyjd wrote:Alternative option: Decide on a start date that would suit you, and message them to ask if it works for them. The less emailing back and forth, the better.
If they're taking on more than one or two interns/law clerks, there's probably some onboarding process and therefore there will be a start date.

Whyjd

New

Post by Whyjd » Mon May 08, 2017 6:39 pm

albanach wrote:
Whyjd wrote:Alternative option: Decide on a start date that would suit you, and message them to ask if it works for them. The less emailing back and forth, the better.
If they're taking on more than one or two interns/law clerks, there's probably some onboarding process and therefore there will be a start date.

If they were organized enough for that, it seems like they would have already been in contact.

Or, you suggest a date and see if they had a specific date in mind in the same email. I've had internships with 5+ and we started when we could.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”