Writing Samples?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
batmanandbaybreezes

Bronze

Writing Samples??

Post by batmanandbaybreezes » Sun May 07, 2017 9:54 pm

When firms ask for writing samples, what am I supposed to use? Prior to graduating/1st job I used a sample from law school but obviously I'm assuming they want an updated sample from my current job, but what kind of thing do I use?

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Re: Writing Samples??

Post by Mickfromgm » Wed May 10, 2017 7:10 pm

batmanandbaybreezes wrote:When firms ask for writing samples, what am I supposed to use? Prior to graduating/1st job I used a sample from law school but obviously I'm assuming they want an updated sample from my current job, but what kind of thing do I use?
They'd pretty much accept any memo or brief that is, say, 8-20 pages long. I have even submitted a memo that I collaborated with partners -- that's clear since the memo has all of our names on the "From" line. They understand that, if you are a junior associate, you would rarely have any work product that is not reviewed and revised by others. Honestly, if they ask me now for a writing sample, I wouldn't have anything recent since I am a corporate lawyer. As a senior corporate attorney, we don't write anything really . . . . no memos, no briefs, no newsletter articles . . . . .

Let's face it, you are not going to get or lose a job because of a writing sample, unless you submit something truly outstanding or egregious, as the case may be.

One very important thing -- maybe it's common sense -- you absolutely have to make sure there is no confidential client information in the sample. If you do and the firm catches you on that, there is just about zero chance of getting an offer. Some folks in a hurry don't check every single line of the writing.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”