List of Firm Culture Descriptions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pragmatic Gun

Silver

List of Firm Culture Descriptions

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:47 pm

I've done the research in the search bar and I haven't found a thread on this. Is there a list of the culture of each law firm that people work at? I'd restrict it to NLJ250 for now. I could find it online, but I wanted to get the real scoop from anonymous working lawyers at these firms.

Npret

Gold

Re: List of Firm Culture Descriptions

Post by Npret » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:59 pm

No. No list exists. I think there was something about firm perks or whatever 0Ls are important

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:01 pm

Npret wrote:No. No list exists. I think there was something about firm perks or whatever 0Ls are important
Ah yes, letting 0Ls determine what is important...

Blackfish

New

Post by Blackfish » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:14 pm

I think you will find greater variation between practice groups than between firms. They're all largely the same at firm level, IMO. It's all kind of pointless though. My roommate picked DPW over peer firms for the "genteel" culture and he left the legal profession after being gaped for 1.5 years.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:37 pm

Yeah, firm culture is kind of bullshit, IMO. I'm sure there are some firms where the culture as a whole really is markedly different from other firms, but for the most part I think the real driver of your cultural experience is not what firm you land at but rather how you're treated by the 5-10 people you work with most.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:07 am

I agree culture is overrated but I don't think that it's *total* bullshit. I think in broad strokes firms have cultures. But for NYC v15-20 (and maybe out to v50ish) it's like a venn diagram with three circles of (i) work you til you die, (ii) bro-ey/douchey NYC culture, and (iii) staid boring culture. But even with the venn diagram all those firms are pretty much the same. The degrees of difference are very minor. And top firms in Chicago/DC are probably pretty close to the same with just a touch of their local culture.

Outside of top firms in major markets I do think there can be some cultural differences. For example, I think NYC and Chicago offices on the west coast are generally regarded as having different cultures than their west coast counterparts.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:19 am

You want a list describing the culture at 250 different law firms?

If there are specific offices you're interested in, I'm sure someone would be willing to chime in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”