What firms have an "easy" track to non-equity partner? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What firms have an "easy" track to non-equity partner?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:37 pm

I want to make non-equity partner and I am willing to kill myself for 6-8 years to do it. then I'll have kids, take the brass ring and do something else.

What firms should I look at?

Currently at a vault 20ish in DC but want to lateral. I've heard Kirkland is a good option: big percentage of the associate class makes non-equity partner at year 6.

Anonymous User

Re: What firms have an "easy" track to non-equity partner?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Why are you so desperate to make non-equity partner? It has all the drawbacks of being a partner without most of the benefits.

Your taxes suck. You have to pay for your own healthcare. You don't make equity-partner $$ so you get screwed without getting the benefits to go with it.

Assuming salary is roughly equivalent definitely better to be a senior associate than a non-equity partner.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:41 pm

Strange end-goal... o.O

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Yeah, this is a strange goal, but one obvious answer is KE.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks, yeah I think it's strange too but I got my reasons.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks, yeah I think it's strange too but I got my reasons.
You're anon, why not post those reasons? If only for curiosity's sake, I am extremely interested why someone would specifically be looking to make non-equity partner.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:01 am

deepseapartners wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks, yeah I think it's strange too but I got my reasons.
You're anon, why not post those reasons? If only for curiosity's sake, I am extremely interested why someone would specifically be looking to make non-equity partner.
Maybe he made a bet with a LS classmate as to who would make "partner" first. Or maybe it's for lateralling/in-house purposes?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:06 am

deepseapartners wrote:
There's more than one reason. trade you 1 reason per firm. :P

fxb3

New

Post by fxb3 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:50 am

Lol at non-equity partner being a "brass ring." I legit cannot conceive of any reason that one would want to "kill themselves" for 6-8 year to get the title and then just leave.

But, yes, KE is obviously the shining star of non-equity partners, although making it there is not as automatic as people seem to think.

If you just want the title, though, and want it as easy as possible, isn't the solution a somewhat lower-ranked firm? Something like a Venable, mcguirewoods, Arent Fox? Not saying it's easy at those places because it's not, but theoretically will be easier than a V10.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:15 am

Let me take a wild guess... cuz "partner" oozes with prestige and sounds cool.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:20 am

fxb3 wrote:Lol at non-equity partner being a "brass ring." I legit cannot conceive of any reason that one would want to "kill themselves" for 6-8 year to get the title and then just leave.

But, yes, KE is obviously the shining star of non-equity partners, although making it there is not as automatic as people seem to think.

If you just want the title, though, and want it as easy as possible, isn't the solution a somewhat lower-ranked firm? Something like a Venable, McGuireWoods, Arent Fox? Not saying it's easy at those places because it's not, but theoretically will be easier than a V10.
I'm not so sure about that. Making partner at a lot of those places is dependent on your ability to generate business, which is largely a different skillset. Also, some places are more merit based than others. I'm at vault 20, and I can tell you that I have a better shot at partner here than I would at a random v100.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Why are you so desperate to make non-equity partner? It has all the drawbacks of being a partner without most of the benefits.

Your taxes suck. You have to pay for your own healthcare. You don't make equity-partner $$ so you get screwed without getting the benefits to go with it.

Assuming salary is roughly equivalent definitely better to be a senior associate than a non-equity partner.
Is this accurate? I thought at places like K&E non-equity "partners" where essentially just senior associates/counsel with a fancier title drawing a normal salary/benefits/etc.

fxb3

New

Post by fxb3 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
fxb3 wrote:Lol at non-equity partner being a "brass ring." I legit cannot conceive of any reason that one would want to "kill themselves" for 6-8 year to get the title and then just leave.

If you just want the title, though, and want it as easy as possible, isn't the solution a somewhat lower-ranked firm? Something like a Venable, McGuireWoods, Arent Fox? Not saying it's easy at those places because it's not, but theoretically will be easier than a V10.
I'm not so sure about that. Making partner at a lot of those places is dependent on your ability to generate business, which is largely a different skillset. Also, some places are more merit based than others. I'm at vault 20, and I can tell you that I have a better shot at partner here than I would at a random v100.
Slightly different skillset sure, but I don't think it's more difficult. (And again, I'm not saying it's easy.) If you want to "kill yourself" to become a partner, one of they ways you could kill yourself is by working on developing business.

And it's not like "could this person generate business?" isn't also the primary question for partnership promotions at KE or any V20. But I'll grant you that some of the lower ranked V100 firms may want to see more demonstrable business development from senior associates, if only because at those firms it's actually possible for senior associates to generate business in a way that just isn't realistic at a V20.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”