Using A Condom Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nebby

Diamond

Using A Condom

Post by Nebby » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 0L, very familiar with forum rules but need to post anonymously (0L forum doesn't have that feature) so please move to the Ask A Law Student if possible or delete if not allowed.

I'm going to be attending a T13 in the fall. Long story short, I have the opportunity to help out a friend of a friend (FOF) whose father is a managing partner at a V50 firm's office in a major market. I will be helping FOF regardless as a favor to my friend and I'm trying to go into as little detail as possible with what I'll be doing for the sake of anonymity but it is completely legal, ethical, and something that I discussed heavily in my law school applications.

What I'm doing requires me to work with FOF's father on a limited basis and is a huge favor to FOF/their family. FOF has offered to pay me and I've declined as I enjoy the work and have free time on my hand.

My main question is, how reasonable would it be to attempt to leverage the connection with FOF's father for a 1L SA position afterwards? I don't want to come off as disingenuous, because I will be doing the favor regardless of the answer but would it be unreasonable to contact him directly down the road when I'm applying for summer SA positions? How much say does a managing partner have in hiring decisions for a 1L and will he see it as disingenuous or opportunistic if I contact FOF's father in the future for a job?
Use a condom. Being an unpaid Don Juan for your FOF can be risky

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Using A Condom

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:00 pm

Dude stop.

Return to “Legal Employment”