How do you think the development of AI will affect the legal profession in the future? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SodaHead

New

How do you think the development of AI will affect the legal profession in the future?

Post by SodaHead » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:14 am

Will paralegals and legal assistants become obsolete?

Will we see a major contraction in the job market?

If so, when?

jkpolk

Silver

Re: How do you think the development of AI will affect the legal profession in the future?

Post by jkpolk » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:22 am

SodaHead wrote:Will paralegals and legal assistants become obsolete?

Will we see a major contraction in the job market?

If so, when?
I'm not sure how the AI will make me a binder or bring the clients lunch. And if AI replaces me that would be fucking awesome.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Re: How do you think the development of AI will affect the legal profession in the future?

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:22 am

My job security will be the least of my concerns once we have AI. Or should I say AI have us?

JGMotorsport

New

Post by JGMotorsport » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:53 am

I'm not sure, Westlaw streamlined the research process and made libraries obsolete.

I would think, at most, AI would help me with things like proofreading.

But I'd always want a paralegal or assistant. This job is lonely enough, who will I incoherently order around all day?

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:18 am

there's stuff out there that can identify clauses in contracts for due diligence purposes.

*NOT AN ENDORSEMENT* (but what i'm talking about)

https://kirasystems.com/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JGMotorsport

New

Post by JGMotorsport » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:21 am

foregetaboutdre wrote:there's stuff out there that can identify clauses in contracts for due diligence purposes.

It's a streamlined OCR that highlights.

Moreover that false sense of security screams negligent transactions and expensive litigation used by the wrong people. Just IMO.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:29 am

JGMotorsport wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:there's stuff out there that can identify clauses in contracts for due diligence purposes.

It's a streamlined OCR that highlights.

Moreover that false sense of security screams negligent transactions and expensive litigation used by the wrong people. Just IMO.
But the way it uses machine learning to identify clauses is pretty damn good. (regardless of word ordering/labeling etc...) If the OCR does not encode the text properly the product is worthless. I haven't encountered it being messed up. If you get a bunch of people doing due diligence on this (and reviewing what it highlights) you could potentially be more efficient and cover a larger scope of documents.

Have you used it? It's pretty good and used by some reputable firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”