Corporate Associates - Anyone Ever Quit Mid-Deal? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Corporate Associates - Anyone Ever Quit Mid-Deal?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:07 am

I am going to be interviewing in a small market this week with a mid-sized regional firm. If I do well in the interview I am expecting to get an offer. Problem is that I am also starting up a really big deal here at my current big law firm in DC (a deal that could take 1-2 months to close). I don't really mind working the deal if I get the offer (continue to rack up big law paychecks knowing i'm leaving is a great position to be in), but was wondering if people have ever quit mid-deal before?

Anonymous User

Re: Corporate Associates - Anyone Ever Quit Mid-Deal?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:36 am

I gave about a 4-weeks notice mid-deal on a large deal that was leanly staffed. Not much you can do about it if you want to leave.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:25 pm

4 weeks notice is pretty nice. Did you slowly transition off the deal or actually close the deal?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am going to be interviewing in a small market this week with a mid-sized regional firm. If I do well in the interview I am expecting to get an offer. Problem is that I am also starting up a really big deal here at my current big law firm in DC (a deal that could take 1-2 months to close). I don't really mind working the deal if I get the offer (continue to rack up big law paychecks knowing i'm leaving is a great position to be in), but was wondering if people have ever quit mid-deal before?

Wasn't big-law but pre-law school when I was a 3rd year associate at an investment bank doing M&A work - think mid-sized bank so I wasn't just making pitch decks, but actually negotiating the deal/finding buyers. I left half-way through a few deals. I made sure to give the the Directors/client/associates enough notice and slowly shift work to them once I made the decision. There was some bad blood with one director but the client was cool with it and I still stay in touch with many to this day (now a 1st year big-law associate) and actually brought in a client via that connection (small $50m deal, but bolt on potential so it's valuable in the firm's eye). Just be cordial and don't play hide the ball - it's a small legal market and people will talk/hold grudges.

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:20 pm

quitting mid-deal is the only point in your biglaw career where partners will actually realize and appreciate your value. there is no more gratifying moment

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”