Contract work? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Contract work?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:46 pm

I am a recent graduate with no jobs and some partners that I have cold-emailed have asked me if I would be interested in contract work - firm size varies from 100 attorneys to 500 attorneys (but a smaller office). They don't have anything going on at this moment, but they will contact me when an opportunity comes along. (but it does sound real (with a long email response) and they ask me to apply again in summer)

What does this mean by "contract work"? Are they interested in hiring me so they want to test-drive me like a summer asso? Or do they just need hands from time to time? Do large law firms make a hiring decision AFTER they test-drive recent graduates who didn't do summer at the firm? I am not from one of T14.

Any anecdotes would be appreciated. Please do not respond like it varies. (I know hiring needs really depend on the situation. I just want to understand the situation)

Anonymous User

Re: Contract work?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:21 pm

I'm not sure i think it's a good idea if you can sustain yourself financially without doing K work.

From my experience, lawyers are INCREDIBLY hierarchical. The partners/associates tend to look down on staff attorneys and contract attorneys. I personally don't have this mentality but have observed it all over the place.

I think if you're a K attorney, you'll still be marketable for small law associate positions, but it would be a very hard sell for biglaw (though your shot at biglaw now is also going to be tough).

I'm not sure I'm convinced they're test driving you like they would a summer - it's rare enough to make the transition from staff attorney to associate, let alone K attorney to associate. They probably have doc review they need done.

I have a friend (T14 classmate) who did K work, and she's been doing it for 2 years now. I sort of suspect it's locked her out of more long term employment. I know a few other people who did it too, and one left the legal field entirely to do consulting, another got a job at a bank, another got a small firm associate position, and one got a state trial court clerkship.

Anonymous User

Re: Contract work?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:53 pm

OP here. Thanks for the response.

Partners who responded to my cold emailing about contract work encourage me to apply in summer again ( I guess when they hire summer associates) so I thought they would be interested in test-driving me.

So I guess I shouldn't put a value on this type of suggestion?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”