Can I take an asso job and leave the firm in 6 months? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can I take an asso job and leave the firm in 6 months?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:05 pm

The employment contract period is 2 years. Or can I get sued for a breach of contract?

Is there anyone who left the firm in a few months?

p.s. please do not quote my question.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Re: Can I take an asso job and leave the firm in 6 months?

Post by JusticeJackson » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:36 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:You can if you put your mind to it.
I particularly appreciate this as a response to an 'or' question.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:46 am

Idk if they can sue you based on ur K, I'm not an employment lawyer, but tons of ppl quit associate jobs within 2 years. Most employment agreements don't have a 2 yr requirement. I think mine might have said I have to pay back my signing bonus if I quit within 2 yrs tho. But good fucking luck collecting from me having 6 figures of debt, suckaaaas

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The employment contract period is 2 years. Or can I get sued for a breach of contract?

Lol.. your firm isn't going to sue you over leaving. If you breach, the firm has a duty to mitigate damages, which would be easy. Tons of applicants for associate positions. If they needed to they could hire one in a week, so just give them a month's notice. I really don't think they (would) prevail on a breach of K claim since it would be fairly simple to show how easy it would be to replace you and thus have no damages

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:The employment contract period is 2 years. Or can I get sued for a breach of contract?

Most employment is at will. Are you sure you signed a contract for a two year term? What would happen at the end of the two years? They'd negotiate a new contract with you? I'd review the contract to make sure you are reading it right, and not simply reading something that says you'd have to pay back certain fees if you left within two years.

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:17 am

it will probably depend on why you have a contract period at all. is this just one of those contract attorney (non-partnership track) positions? or did the firm give you something (e.g., agreed to pay law school tuition/debt) in exchange for agreeing to stay at the firm for two years? the firm probably wont care about the former but could come after you for the latter.

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:09 pm

Some firms require a proportional payback of a bar stipend (if any) if you quit early. Something to consider.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”