How do people land IP Counsel in-house positions? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do people land IP Counsel in-house positions?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:41 pm

I see these postings on job boards from time to time, and I cannot see how anyone's biglaw experience would qualify them for these "IP generalist" types of positions. Most of them want someone with experience in patents, soft IP (trademark, copyright, trade secret), IP transactions (licensing, IP aspects of M&A), and litigation. How is that possible to obtain.

An example: https://www.goinhouse.com/jobs/1031734- ... search-inc

Bluem_11

Bronze

Re: How do people land IP Counsel in-house positions?

Post by Bluem_11 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:48 pm

Employers ask for the moon but doesn't mean they always get everything they want.

I've worked at an IP boutique where I've checked off most of those boxes (maj prosecution work,chip in on soft IP/litigation).

It also helps to be buddy buddy with person doing the hiring and/or the last person holding the post.

jhett

Bronze

Re: How do people land IP Counsel in-house positions?

Post by jhett » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:18 pm

You have to be intentional about seeking different types of work and being at firm(s) that allow you to take different types of work. It requires a lot of forward planning - you usually don't luck into doing all of it.

And also, they don't get everything they ask for. Usually, if you can check off at least 50% of the list, you'll let their attention.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”