Updating Your Resume Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Updating Your Resume

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:00 pm

Once you start working at a firm, how do you update your resume? Assuming you took an internship or did something of note 3L year, do you list your firm twice, once in the summer and ocne when you start (I doubt this is the case, but do you add summer to your time?)

Since the work you're going to be doing as an associate is much more important/substantive than your work as an intern/research associate/law review etc., do you make your law school internships and other activities just one liners to make room for your firm experience? Also since so many deals are private, how do u list what you've done ("worked on doc review for billion dollar merger"? like ya, that helps)

Would appreciate any wisdom y'all could provide!

1styearlateral

Silver

Re: Updating Your Resume

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:55 pm

Re: first question, I did something like:
Firm XYZ
Summers 20xx and 20xx, Sept. 20xx-Present
By doing that, you're letting people know you were a summer association that accepted a full time offer. Don't assume your interviewer is so dumb they need two separate entries to know you had a SA.

And I only list things relevant since I became an associate. Everyone knows that SAs do legal research, memos, assist with court appearances, etc. No need to waste precious space on the obvious.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”