Withdrawing from government honors for a clerkship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Withdrawing from government honors for a clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:03 am

I have an offer for a government honors program, and just received a clerkship interview request. I stopped applying to clerkships when I got the position, but had some applications outstanding. I would rather clerk at this point, but don't want to burn a bridge with the agency. Has anyone done this? What are the repercussions? I feel guilty for even considering it, but it's a great opportunity.

FSK

Platinum

Re: Withdrawing from government honors for a clerkship

Post by FSK » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:03 am

You have cover in the hiring freeze and the clerkship will preserve eligibility. Do it
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

globetrotter659

New

Post by globetrotter659 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:06 am

Agencies love clerkships. You should be fine so long as you explain that you are only dropping because of the clerkship.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer for a government honors program, and just received a clerkship interview request. I stopped applying to clerkships when I got the position, but had some applications outstanding. I would rather clerk at this point, but don't want to burn a bridge with the agency. Has anyone done this? What are the repercussions? I feel guilty for even considering it, but it's a great opportunity.
The government generally is not keeping permanent offers people accepted in good faith(though Honors decisions haven't been announced) I wouldn't think twice about the clerkship.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:44 am

It really depends on what you want out of your career.

If you have an honors offer that isn't affected by the freeze and your career aspiration is to be a government lawyer, then you should take the offer. At the end of the day, although it is true that if you clerk you can apply next year, the landscape of the honors programs next year will be rather uncertain with the current administration. Plus, although clerking gives you an advantage in hiring, there are still many clerks applying with you so things could still be a crapshoot.

If your offer is affected by the freeze, or you've always wanted to clerk, or you'd like to keep your options open in regards to working for the private sector, then take the clerkship. You will not burn bridges with the agency, just mention that it is for a clerkship and you will love to apply the following year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:46 am

globetrotter659 wrote:Agencies love clerkships. You should be fine so long as you explain that you are only dropping because of the clerkship.
Yes. My agency only hired clerks this past cycle. However, those were not the only clerks that applied. I want to say about 35% of the applications came from clerks, so definitely not a sure shot when agency hiring is only at 5-10% of applications. I agree it helps though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:06 am

OP here. Thank you for the responses.

My agency is not affected by the freeze.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”