Unexpected Change of Cities Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Unexpected Change of Cities

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Hello TLSers, I'm wondering if there are any clever thoughts or advice about an office changing situation that I'm in. I start my SA in May at a V10 in a major market on the east coast. Recently my spouse received a job offer in a different east coast city, and so it would be much better for us if I could work in that city as well. Ideally, I'd stay with my current firm and transfer cities after the SA, as the firm has large offices in both places. My career adviser said it would be better to do the SA and only ask for a change after receiving an offer, which was a bit disappointing, since I was hoping the advice would to just tell the firm now and actually move the SA itself to the second city, but I realize it's late in the game to ask for an office switch or split. Does anyone have any insight into how common or likely moves like this are? I hadn't even been considering 3L job searching, but that's the only other solution I can think of to change cities. Thanks for any thoughts!

delusional

Silver

Re: Unexpected Change of Cities

Post by delusional » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hello TLSers, I'm wondering if there are any clever thoughts or advice about an office changing situation that I'm in. I start my SA in May at a V10 in a major market on the east coast. Recently my spouse received a job offer in a different east coast city, and so it would be much better for us if I could work in that city as well. Ideally, I'd stay with my current firm and transfer cities after the SA, as the firm has large offices in both places. My career adviser said it would be better to do the SA and only ask for a change after receiving an offer, which was a bit disappointing, since I was hoping the advice would to just tell the firm now and actually move the SA itself to the second city, but I realize it's late in the game to ask for an office switch or split. Does anyone have any insight into how common or likely moves like this are? I hadn't even been considering 3L job searching, but that's the only other solution I can think of to change cities. Thanks for any thoughts!
You say that both offices are large - if that means they both have summer classes of more than 10, then IME it should not be a big deal to switch before the summer. And even if the firm cannot accommodate the switch, it is unlikely to play against you for your SA in the original city - if a V10 is going to no offer people, it would not be on the basis of a request to switch SA cities four months before the summer.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”