Need advice--Re: 2L Summer Associate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need advice--Re: 2L Summer Associate

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi all,

I attend a tier 2 law school in New England. I'm in the top 10%. I accepted a summer associate offer from a firm based in ___ for this summer, but I want to practice law in Boston or DC. The firm has hired summer associates the previous 3 years, so I think if I do a good job I may get an offer.

My question is what can I do now to try to get a job in Boston/DC for after I graduate now that I've accepted a summer associate position with a firm in __? Moreover, assuming I get an offer in the fall of 2017, should I accept the offer knowing that I want to make a move to DC/Boston within the next year or two. Do I wait it out for those 2 years or reject the offer in hopes that I lock something down in Boston/DC? I just do not want to get stuck and I fear that I might.

I hope I'm making sense. I appreciate any advice.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Re: Need advice--Re: 2L Summer Associate

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:11 pm

This is not necessarily specific to the world of law employment, but my rule of thumb in the working world (that has always seemed to apply) is that it's way easier to find a new job if you already have one than to get employed when you're unemployed.

Take that as you will, but I think if you had the option between guaranteed work (with the possibility to move later on) and potential unemployment, the answer is a no brainer.

If someone with more relevant experience comes along and says otherwise, listen to them.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:33 pm

You are at a "tier 2" school, you do not reject offers. Non-sarcastic congrats on the grades though. Just be professional and follow your gut, but don't throw good jobs away carelessly

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Accept an offer if you get one. I don't think there is any room for debate there. If you get a job in your preferred market during 3L - then fantastic. Take it, and call up 2L firm and turn em down. They'll get over it.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Accept the offer immediately. At the end of the summer, step up to the crapshoot that is 3L OCI and hope for the best. If you find something in your preferred market, great. If not, you'll still have a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”