Working in NY, but Living in NJ? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SowhatsNU

Bronze

Working in NY, but Living in NJ?

Post by SowhatsNU » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has experience with living in NJ, but in an area that is a relatively decent commute to NY (for example Hoboken to the city via PATH).

Don't know much about it and still researching, but from what I've seen apartments there are quite nice and very reasonable. Would love any input, and would happy to make a table if there are enough responses!

Commuting List
  • Weehawken, NJ [10 Min to Midtown via Ferry]
    Hoboken, NJ [10 Min to Midtown]
    Jersey City, NJ [40 min to Midtown via PATH]
Last edited by SowhatsNU on Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Re: Working in NY, but Living in NJ?

Post by ClubberLang » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:30 pm

Lots of people do this, how well it works depends on where your office is. If it is anywhere close to Port Authority, a lot of places away from Path but served by buses can work. Keep in mind that rents in Hoboken aren't much less than the city, but you will still save on taxes. If you are working in Midtown the towns by the Lincoln tunnel can be good values and have decent commutes.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:35 pm

ClubberLang wrote:Lots of people do this, how well it works depends on where your office is. If it is anywhere close to Port Authority, a lot of places away from Path but served by buses can work. Keep in mind that rents in Hoboken aren't much less than the city, but you will still save on taxes. If you are working in Midtown the towns by the Lincoln tunnel can be good values and have decent commutes.
Hoboken to Midtown is a pain in the arse.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:18 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:Lots of people do this, how well it works depends on where your office is. If it is anywhere close to Port Authority, a lot of places away from Path but served by buses can work. Keep in mind that rents in Hoboken aren't much less than the city, but you will still save on taxes. If you are working in Midtown the towns by the Lincoln tunnel can be good values and have decent commutes.
I take the bus and can be on 42nd Street in 10 minutes some days.

But to echo the other poster, Hoboken isn't much cheaper (although you get more for your buck). For example, I pay less than $3k for a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom W/D with parking. No doorman but have an elevator.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:49 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

But to echo the other poster, Hoboken isn't much cheaper (although you get more for your buck). For example, I pay less than $3k for a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom W/D with parking. No doorman but have an elevator.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:01 pm

What's the commute like from Harlem to Midtown?

Chelsea to Midtown?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Startled Rabbit

New

Post by Startled Rabbit » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:40 pm

A friend of mine takes the ferry from Weehawken, NJ to midtown every morning and loves it. It's a ten minute ride.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm

kellyfrost wrote:What's the commute like from Harlem to Midtown?

Chelsea to Midtown?
If you stay below 160th in West Harlem/WH and your office is no further east than 6th Ave, at worst 45 minutes, can be as low as 10-15 door-to-door. Depends on whether you're near an express train and where your office is.

Going east to west is easier now with the 2nd ave line, but it'll take extra time if you gotta go from west Harlem to Lex.

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:03 pm

i'm in Weehawken and go all the way downtown, it's about 50 minutes total. bus to port authority, then subway. really hoping my next job is in midtown

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:55 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

It's very rare for door-to-door commute to be more than an hour. But yeah, the Lincoln Tunnel is a scourge to mankind.

I'm in the same boat as James. Would like to work in midtown to cut down that commute.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:11 am

Currently live in JC and commute to midtown. Best decision ever..

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Currently live in JC and commute to midtown. Best decision ever..
I do the same, and it's fine IMO, but idk if I'd say best decision ever. ~40-45 minute commute with a train change is better than some people's for sure, but isn't exactly ideal. The WTC PATH and the 4/5 are always packed as well. JC is great though... I love the area, and having a good-sized apartment in a luxury building close to the PATH for the price of a meh place in Manhattan is very nice. Plus no NYC tax saves you like 2-3% of your salary a year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:09 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Currently live in JC and commute to midtown. Best decision ever..
I do the same, and it's fine IMO, but idk if I'd say best decision ever. ~40-45 minute commute with a train change is better than some people's for sure, but isn't exactly ideal. The WTC PATH and the 4/5 are always packed as well. JC is great though... I love the area, and having a good-sized apartment in a luxury building close to the PATH for the price of a meh place in Manhattan is very nice. Plus no NYC tax saves you like 2-3% of your salary a year.
Got to my office in 32 mins door-to-door today. I commute later in the morning so maybe that helps. You also have to consider your other COL savings. There is either a 3.5% tax or no tax in JC. My apartment is nearly 1000sqft with all the amenities and I'm paying less than I would in LIC for a smaller "lux" apartment. Having full amenities, including having my dry cleaners delivered for $1.90 per shirt, means i spend less time doing day to day personal stuff The only real downside is that there aren't as many food options or nightlife (almost none in terms of night life) but that shouldn't matter. I work in midtown so i guess JC should be a no brainer for people working downtown.

Edit: did I mention i have a a covered parking a spot?
Edit 2: if you have a family with young children NJ is truly the best option. I heard schools in the Hudson county suck though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SowhatsNU

Bronze

Post by SowhatsNU » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:
Got to my office in 32 mins door-to-door today. I commute later in the morning so maybe that helps. You also have to consider your other COL savings. There is either a 3.5% tax or no tax in JC. My apartment is nearly 1000sqft with all the amenities and I'm paying less than I would in LIC for a smaller "lux" apartment. Having full amenities, including having my dry cleaners delivered for $1.90 per shirt, means i spend less time doing day to day personal stuff The only real downside is that there aren't as many food options or nightlife (almost none in terms of night life) but that shouldn't matter. I work in midtown so i guess JC should be a no brainer for people working downtown.

Edit 2: if you have a family with young children NJ is truly the best option. I heard schools in the Hudson county suck though.
If you don't mind me asking, where in JC? I don't know areas, but I assume there are numerous neighborhoods in JC (if not disregard)

Edit: Added a (rough) table to hopefully start listing commuter options

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:46 pm

SowhatsNU wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, where in JC? I don't know areas, but I assume there are numerous neighborhoods in JC (if not disregard)

Edit: Added a (rough) table to hopefully start listing commuter options
Anywhere near the path, dont stay beyond journal square. Its gets pretty bad quickly so check crime reports before deciding. If you commute to midtown obviously paulus hook, grove st area would be better. I think the closer to the river the nicer it gets. I dont think hoboken 10 min commute is fair if the office is actually near grand central or time square. Probably more like 30 40 mins.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:35 pm

If you are living with a significant other or have many friends in NJ, I would recommend other areas than just Hoboken/Weehawken/Jersey City, which are everyone's knee-jerk go-to's. Areas like Rutherford/East Rutherford are great and very close (9 miles total....30 minute bus ride into port authority or Rutherford train station one stop to secaucus and switch to city). Very nice apartment complexes for cheaper than H/W/JC and bigger too. Lots to do in the area, especially if you have a car. Also plenty of people commute from other areas like Montclair, Ridgewood, Bloomfield, etc. Plenty of nice apartment complexes in these areas, but higher cost of living. But yeah, if you're just a single 25 year old dude not from the area who is looking to save a little money, Jersey City may be best option.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:58 pm

mvp99 wrote: I dont think hoboken 10 min commute is fair if the office is actually near grand central or time square. Probably more like 30 40 mins.
Maybe GC with the shuttle is 30-40 min but once you get off the bus at PA you're a block from TS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are living with a significant other or have many friends in NJ, I would recommend other areas than just Hoboken/Weehawken/Jersey City, which are everyone's knee-jerk go-to's. Areas like Rutherford/East Rutherford are great and very close (9 miles total....30 minute bus ride into port authority or Rutherford train station one stop to secaucus and switch to city). Very nice apartment complexes for cheaper than H/W/JC and bigger too. Lots to do in the area, especially if you have a car. Also plenty of people commute from other areas like Montclair, Ridgewood, Bloomfield, etc. Plenty of nice apartment complexes in these areas, but higher cost of living. But yeah, if you're just a single 25 year old dude not from the area who is looking to save a little money, Jersey City may be best option.
I think this is fine only if youre ok with the commute.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:28 am

mvp99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you are living with a significant other or have many friends in NJ, I would recommend other areas than just Hoboken/Weehawken/Jersey City, which are everyone's knee-jerk go-to's. Areas like Rutherford/East Rutherford are great and very close (9 miles total....30 minute bus ride into port authority or Rutherford train station one stop to secaucus and switch to city). Very nice apartment complexes for cheaper than H/W/JC and bigger too. Lots to do in the area, especially if you have a car. Also plenty of people commute from other areas like Montclair, Ridgewood, Bloomfield, etc. Plenty of nice apartment complexes in these areas, but higher cost of living. But yeah, if you're just a single 25 year old dude not from the area who is looking to save a little money, Jersey City may be best option.
Is there a tangible difference between taking a train to NY (like the PATH) vs. taking the bus? Is the traffic getting into the city a nightmare? And is the PATH the only train that goes into nyc from jersey?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mvp99 wrote:
Is there a tangible difference between taking a train to NY (like the PATH) vs. taking the bus? Is the traffic getting into the city a nightmare? And is the PATH the only train that goes into nyc from jersey?
Bus can certainly be quicker some (maybe even a lot) of the time. That said, PATH is a fixed commute time. Barring irregular delays, etc., your commute is going to be the same every day. Bus can be a nightmare if there is bad traffic, weather, etc.

Personally, when I lived in Hoboken prior to law school and commuted to NYC, i preferred PATH because I knew exactly how long it was going to take, even if that meant an extra few minutes commuting. Also, Port Authority Terminal is hell on earth, IMO.

ETA: NJ Transit also has trains into the city - so not just path.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:34 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mvp99 wrote:
Bus can certainly be quicker some (maybe even a lot) of the time. That said, PATH is a fixed commute time. Barring irregular delays, etc., your commute is going to be the same every day. Bus can be a nightmare if there is bad traffic, weather, etc.

Personally, when I lived in Hoboken prior to law school and commuted to NYC, i preferred PATH because I knew exactly how long it was going to take, even if that meant an extra few minutes commuting. Also, Port Authority Terminal is hell on earth, IMO.

All true. But I would add that it really depends on where in the city you live. If you live in uptown Hoboken, you'll have to take a bus or walk to the Path anyway, which could be upwards of a 30 min walk. Might as well take the bus right into the city.

It really comes down to personal preference after you've tried the different combinations of your commute. I tried about 3 until I found one that worked for me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:51 am

1styearlateral wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mvp99 wrote:

All true. But I would add that it really depends on where in the city you live. If you live in uptown Hoboken, you'll have to take a bus or walk to the Path anyway, which could be upwards of a 30 min walk. Might as well take the bus right into the city.

It really comes down to personal preference after you've tried the different combinations of your commute. I tried about 3 until I found one that worked for me.
This is all true.

Quichelorraine

Bronze

Post by Quichelorraine » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Re. Jersey City, the commute depends on where you are and where you're going. Grove Street to Herald Square is not 40 minutes--probably more like 20-25. If you're walking up to GCT, that's where the additional 20 comes in. But Herald Square dumps you right on the Broadway and 6th Ave. lines, so if you're transferring to a subway it can be a quick hop to 59th Street or parts further East.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mvp99 wrote:
There are a number of train lines in NJ that go into the city. All of the trains on Bergen County lines switch through Secaucus, but there are direct lines into NYC from places like Short Hills. The PATH is good too, but that's obviously just for Hoboken and Weehawken folks.

I personally really like the bus - there are so many stops so its easy to live near one (I am a 3 minute walk to my stop), plus they come very frequently depending on how you live (every 2-5 minutes during commuting times for me). Theres also a great app that tells you exactly when they're coming, so you can time it. I almost always get a seat. That being said, every once in a while there are major delays at the Lincoln Tunnel and traffic is snarled, but generally, with the XBL (exclusive bus lane), you cruise in with little traffic, relatively speaking of course. And Port Authority isn't that bad - with the construction going on at Penn Station, it is a way better option these days in terms of craziness. Getting home through port authority can be a mess though, especially if you are arriving there between 5pm-630pm. By around 7pm things die down and you shouldn't have much of a wait at all.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mvp99 wrote:
The PATH is good too, but that's obviously just for Hoboken and Weehawken folks.
Um, no. The Path doesn't run to Weehawken. It runs to Hoboken, JC (Exchange Place, Grove St., Newport, Journal Square), Harrison, and Newark in Jersey. WTC and 33rd St. in NYC.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”