Hating Biglaw - Please Help Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Hating Biglaw - Please Help

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:07 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So is the answer live in low col cities?
This is a fun tool to understand why, in part, it's better to work in a Cleveland or Pittsburgh than a NYC or SF: http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/sav ... lator.aspx
I agree that the COL is outstanding in those cities. However, I lived in Pittsburgh for several years and really, it gets old after a while. I can only imagine Cleveland is the same or worse. At least in NYC or other coastal cities, when you have free time, you have an unlimited list of things to do and places to go that you couldn't complete in ten lifetimes let alone one.

I'll probably get destroyed on these forums for this, but: My philosophy is you only have one life, and you can't spend half of it saving for the future. I have friends who still live at home claiming they're doing so to save money so they'll have "tons of cash when they're older." So what. Who cares if you have tons of cash if you're too old to spend it. Enjoy life now while you can while keeping a roof over your head.
1) You're never too old to spend money
2) Live lavishly now and live like a pauper when you're old and have no upside to society? Nah.
3) You can enjoy life while saving for the future. Growth and compounded interest. I'd rather save and live twice as lavishly in two decades.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:15 pm

deepseapartners wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:My fiancee and I graduated with a combined $210k debt. Mine is currently at $149k (on REPAYE and never going to pay it off). Choosing a career path and living in a high COL area merely to service debt is silly.
It's not any sillier than your decision to keep that debt for 25 years.
I think about my student loan debt for about 1-2 hours per year. It's a made up number that doesn't matter at this point. My payment is also based on AGI, which gives me an increased incentive to save in a tax efficient manner. But I'd be doing this anyway because I want to retire by 40ish and my goal is to pay as little taxes as humanly possible.

My more important point...if you hate big law, then do not stay merely to pay off your student loans.
Last edited by AVBucks4239 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:
This is a fun tool to understand why, in part, it's better to work in a Cleveland or Pittsburgh than a NYC or SF: http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/sav ... lator.aspx
I agree that the COL is outstanding in those cities. However, I lived in Pittsburgh for several years and really, it gets old after a while. I can only imagine Cleveland is the same or worse. At least in NYC or other coastal cities, when you have free time, you have an unlimited list of things to do and places to go that you couldn't complete in ten lifetimes let alone one.

I'll probably get destroyed on these forums for this, but: My philosophy is you only have one life, and you can't spend half of it saving for the future. I have friends who still live at home claiming they're doing so to save money so they'll have "tons of cash when they're older." So what. Who cares if you have tons of cash if you're too old to spend it. Enjoy life now while you can while keeping a roof over your head.
2) Live lavishly now and live like a pauper when you're old and have no upside to society? Nah.
3) You can enjoy life while saving for the future. Growth and compounded interest. I'd rather save and live twice as lavishly in two decades.
As someone that lives in NYC, I can say that living here is not "enjoying life" if you enjoy good, fresh food at reasonable prices, the ability to get out into nature and go biking or hiking on a regular basis, work a less demanding schedule and work on side-projects or side businesses. I work too much, subways are terrible, everything is expensive and other than the food and the music, there isn't much more to do (and I have dozens of friends that live here). If you are someone that just likes "living the high life" then sure, NYC is great, but otherwise, it's sort of a cesspool. I actually find myself bored here since I'm trying to keep my lifestyle in check and there are only so many times I can go to the Hayden Planetarium or the MOMA.

Tiny Rick!

Bronze

Post by Tiny Rick! » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Living in a shithole is never the answer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:

As someone that lives in NYC, I can say that living here is not "enjoying life" if you enjoy good, fresh food at reasonable prices, the ability to get out into nature and go biking or hiking on a regular basis, work a less demanding schedule and work on side-projects or side businesses. I work too much, subways are terrible, everything is expensive and other than the food and the music, there isn't much more to do (and I have dozens of friends that live here). If you are someone that just likes "living the high life" then sure, NYC is great, but otherwise, it's sort of a cesspool. I actually find myself bored here since I'm trying to keep my lifestyle in check and there are only so many times I can go to the Hayden Planetarium or the MOMA.

No hate- but damn it's so funny how Americans that grew up in western society think they are not "enjoying life" because they don't get to buy 10lbs of organic kale and go on long nature hikes with their Yuppie friends. They don't get to go to the museum every weekend. They have to save money and can't go drink microbrews at a hipster tavern.

Since when did everyone start to think that life wasn't designed for work, and that happiness is an entitlement at all times?

Our country is going to shit

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:

No hate- but damn it's so funny how Americans that grew up in western society think they are not "enjoying life" because they don't get to buy 10lbs of organic kale and go on long nature hikes with their Yuppie friends. They don't get to go to the museum every weekend. They have to save money and can't go drink microbrews at a hipster tavern.

Since when did everyone start to think that life wasn't designed for work, and that happiness is an entitlement at all times?

ya hiking is for cucks amirite

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:

I applaud your use of anon.

I didn't say dump all your money and be a glutton, I just said that there's no reason to make severe sacrifices because you want to save a lot of money for the future. Pay your loans, pay your rent, and live life. If you can't do it in NYC, then do it somewhere else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:

Haha wtf are you even talking about. First of all, in terms of my love of the outdoors, being able to get outside is a way of helping a lot of people deal with stress and get connected to the world around them (rather than their phones or TV). I never felt more at peace then when I was hiking and camping and relying on myself to make sure things got done around a campsite. Wanting to be able to actually afford to buy a house with a yard so I can grill and work on DIY projects is a bad thing? You sound like a typical shithead boomer partner that values work and status over living a simpler and happier life.

Also, wanting to be able to afford fresh food without paying $15 bucks for a shitty salad and wanting to be able to get outside without paying $50 bucks for trains or car rentals (or sharing a field with a thousand other people in CP) seems pretty reasonable to me. And who the hell is any person to say what life is designed for? If I want to fart around and "hike all day with my yuppie friends" then that is my choice. I have friends that are far smarter than anyone I met in law school or in my firm that work what most here would consider shitty jobs so they have the time to play music and tour .... are they ruining the country?

Also, if you are saying that I should think about people in poorer places in the world and consider myself lucky, I definitely do. I'm a lucky motherfucker. But most Americans probably don't compare their standards of living with third world countries and so I don't think I need to do that either when thinking about things that make me happy.

Itiswritten

New

Post by Itiswritten » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:

Haha wtf are you even talking about. First of all, in terms of my love of the outdoors, being able to get outside is a way of helping a lot of people deal with stress and get connected to the world around them (rather than their phones or TV). I never felt more at peace then when I was hiking and camping and relying on myself to make sure things got done around a campsite. Wanting to be able to actually afford to buy a house with a yard so I can grill and work on DIY projects is a bad thing? You sound like a typical shithead boomer partner that values work and status over living a simpler and happier life.

Also, wanting to be able to afford fresh food without paying $15 bucks for a shitty salad and wanting to be able to get outside without paying $50 bucks for trains or car rentals (or sharing a field with a thousand other people in CP) seems pretty reasonable to me. And who the hell is any person to say what life is designed for? If I want to fart around and "hike all day with my yuppie friends" then that is my choice. I have friends that are far smarter than anyone I met in law school or in my firm that work what most here would consider shitty jobs so they have the time to play music and tour .... are they ruining the country?

Also, if you are saying that I should think about people in poorer places in the world and consider myself lucky, I definitely do. I'm a lucky motherfucker. But most Americans probably don't compare their standards of living with third world countries and so I don't think I need to do that either when thinking about things that make me happy.
hiking, DIY projects, 'fresh' food,

3paragraph butthurt response

confirmed cuck, you'll never make partner

also confirmed 4 white multi-generational American who became a lawyer because he wasn't good at anything else

User outed for anon abuse. Disagreement is fine but anon isn't for personal insults.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hiking, DIY projects, 'fresh' food,

also confirmed 4 white multi-generational American who became a lawyer because he wasn't good at anything else
curious why you're hiding behind anon especially if you're just trolling

merde_happens

New

Post by merde_happens » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Brave anon use right there.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:02 pm

merde_happens wrote:BraveMean* anon use right there.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:07 pm

I agree that if you can't find interesting ways to spend your time in NYC, you should leave. It's not worth it otherwise.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:23 pm

Oh look, another NYC/SF vs secondary market thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
hiking, DIY projects, 'fresh' food,

I'm the above "butthurt" anon, but LOL'd at the bolded, touche

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:36 pm

deepseapartners wrote:

These anons should be outted so we know who to be impressed with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:37 pm

OP here. This has really gone off the rails, but thanks to everyone who gave real advice and encouragement.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:29 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
deepseapartners wrote:

These anons should be outted so we know who to be impressed with.
Troll has been outed. I get that people don't want to talk about their jobs under their handles but if you're just going to yell at someone for not liking the same things in life that you like, grow a pair and do it under your handle.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:14 pm

Itiswritten wrote:hiking, DIY projects, 'fresh' food,

User outed for anon abuse. Disagreement is fine but anon isn't for personal insults.
guarantee more NY biglaw partners are cucks than are chill bros living in secondary markets

who do u think is smashing ur wife when ur working 97 hours per week?

unless ur wife is also an ugly fat NY biglaw partner

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:38 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:

guarantee more NY biglaw partners are cucks than are chill bros living in secondary markets

Since when is "outing" a thing?

Fuck this shit. Ban me fuckers

Itiswritten

New

Post by Itiswritten » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:

That wasn't supposed to be anonymous

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:44 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:

I'll buy a new wife with that kind of money

I'll buy your wife with that kind of money

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:

Since anon was instituted and we put the rules saying that you might get outed in a big yellow box at the top of every page in this subforum?

Itiswritten

New

Post by Itiswritten » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:08 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:

Since anon was instituted and we put the rules saying that you might get outed in a big yellow box at the top of every page in this subforum?
I don't post on here often and post from a mobile phone. My B. I'd just like to remove my personal info or get banned

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:47 pm

^ When Anon abuse goes wrong. I won't quote, but not really cool that you posted that shit and won't own it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”