Does anyone know if you need to go through a BG check to do a judicial externship? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does anyone know if you need to go through a BG check to do a judicial externship?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:17 am

I'd like to extern this summer, but I might have a problem if I need to go through an extensive background check. Can any former externs share with me whether you had to go through a background check and, if so, which form you had to fill out?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Does anyone know if you need to go through a BG check to do a judicial externship?

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:47 am

I did no background check and only filled out school related paperwork (no official employment paperwork because they ain't paying you). I doubt this will be an issue whatsoever. C&F, firm employment, and of course, FT gov't work or Dep't of Justice/AUSA externships are probably different.

grades??

Silver

Re: Does anyone know if you need to go through a BG check to do a judicial externship?

Post by grades?? » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:54 am

I did go through a background check from the US Marshalls on my first day before officially starting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:57 am

My judge's externs do. It's not super rigorous though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:12 pm

I think this probably varies depending on district. I had to fill out a lengthy background check packet for my externship, it was required of all externs and volunteers in our district (federal court).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:34 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:I did no background check and only filled out school related paperwork (no official employment paperwork because they ain't paying you). I doubt this will be an issue whatsoever. C&F, firm employment, and of course, FT gov't work or Dep't of Justice/AUSA externships are probably different.
ETA: since there seems to be some difference b/w districts, mine was ND IL

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:16 am

I interned for a federal district court judge in Indiana my 1L summer and had to go through a background check after I accepted the offer. I was supposed to be interning with another person, but his offer was actually withdrawn after something came back on his check. Based on my conversation with people in chambers, it seemed like the real problem was that the guy hadn't disclosed the conviction or whatever it was. He might've been okay if he had just been up-front about it.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:36 pm

I interned at D.D.C. and, it's been a couple years, but I think the background check was just the standard SF-85. (Plus whatever references, if any, chambers reached out to during the hiring process.)

If anyone is curious, judicial didn't drug test me, but I'm not sure if they drug tested anyone. Previously in law school I'd interned both at DOJ and the White House complex, and I only had to go submit a pee sample at OPM for the first internship. DOJ told me I didn't need to do it again since I'd passed one recently. I don't recall any more whether judicial would've.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:38 pm

OP, maybe post what kind of background issue you're concerned about and people will some insight can chime in or invite you to PM them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”