Tips on Securing a Job Interview at a Reception Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tips on Securing a Job Interview at a Reception

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:29 pm

I had recently bid on a couple of firms for a job fair in my city. Unfortunately, none of the firms bid on me. I am positive that it's because of my low GPA (2.9). I am a minority at a T-30. However, when the coordinator of the event emailed me she mentioned that a lot of people have secured job interviews during the reception part that had struck out initially. My career counselor thinks that I have a very good personality, but honestly, I don't know how to approach this situation. There were two firms that I really could see myself working there. So I was wondering, does anybody have any experience with this and have any tips?

One of the firms is Burr & Forman.

Anonymous User

Re: Tips on Securing a Job Interview at a Reception

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:55 am

Yes, I actually do. Went to a reception and ended up having dinner and drinks with some of the partners and associates. Got a CB from it. My advice is just to be genuine and don't feel like you have to talk to everyone at the reception. I didn't make the rounds because I really liked who I was talking to and it worked out well. Definitely find a way to steer the conversation away from work/school. I found the lawyers enjoyed themselves more when we were just being casual, talking about sports and families.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”