DUI Job Advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DUI Job Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am not sure what to tell you about disclosure, but personal anecdote to ease your nerves. I have an acquaintance that got 2 DUIs, passed the bar and now works as a prosecutor.
Federal? Have one and am worried about AUSA background check.
Had a DUI that was lowered to a reckless driving during second year of undergrad and subsequently expunged prior to law school. Flash forward a couple years to law school and I received an offer to extern at my local USAO. Was completely upfront about the charge and was told it would not be a problem, but that my application needed to be "signed off" by my direct supervisor, the chiefs of the various sections in that office, and the USA personally. This was all before my application could even make it back east for the actual background check. Turns out my supervisor and the chiefs signed off, but the USA would not. I was about one of nine students that this happened to that semester. Thankfully, because i never made it to the actual background check and therefore did not fail the security check, I need not disclose.
Man. Worrisome (sorry to hear). Nine students in one office alone? Confused though - where did you originally disclose/were upfront (if not on a background check form)? Also, you mean you need not disclose that you failed a security clearance?

Anonymous User

Re: DUI Job Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 11:57 am

Yes, it is a large office in a major market. I was asked in the interview if there was anything that could complicate a background check and was upfront. Because my application never made it back east for the actual background check, it was never done and I never failed (or passed). The way the supervisor explained it was that when an applicant has an arrest/similar issue, before an offer can be "officially" made, the applicant has to be approved by the higher ups in the district, which ultimately did not happen.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”