Lateraling out of startup/emerging companies Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateraling out of startup/emerging companies

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:49 am

I am a junior associate (first year) in firm doing emerging companies/startup work in a non SV/SF/Boston area. Law firm isn't prestigious.

For various reasons I do not want to work in this field
What's the best way to lateral out of this practice area? Would moving in-house be viable? Which practice areas are viable fora firm?

RickSanchez

New

Re: Lateraling out of startup/emerging companies

Post by RickSanchez » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:02 am

I think tech transactions practice would be a good practice area to transition into from emerging companies.

Could you share with us why you are no longer interested in emerging companies work?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:23 am

Also curious as to why OP would like to get out of emerging companies work. I'm doing leverage finance but would like to get into that area.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:17 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:20 pm

My friend is working in that practice group (biglaw) in the Bay Area, hates it and moved on.
The complaints are as follows: startup CEOs and employees call her all the time even during her vacation. Since startups thrive on speed, they always ask for prompt response but what they pay is very cheap, compared to other clients. They are not sophisticated clients so she has to constantly "educate" them. Since their budgets are ALWAYS tight, they always ask for price nego endlessly. Partners bring in startup clients for a very very cheap price (I guess it's part of client acquisition strategy) so she has to work on every weekend. Workload is crazy. etc

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My friend is working in that practice group (biglaw) in the Bay Area, hates it and moved on.
The complaints are as follows: startup CEOs and employees call her all the time even during her vacation. Since startups thrive on speed, they always ask for prompt response but what they pay is very cheap, compared to other clients. They are not sophisticated clients so she has to constantly "educate" them. Since their budgets are ALWAYS tight, they always ask for price nego endlessly. Partners bring in startup clients for a very very cheap price (I guess it's part of client acquisition strategy) so she has to work on every weekend. Workload is crazy. etc
Do you mind sharing which firm? I'm trying to interview with few firms in SF/SV for startup practice

Yankees1313

New

Post by Yankees1313 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:09 am

Op, If you don't mind, could you pm me I would like to ask some questions as I will be doing this type of work after law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”