Horrible first semester grades at Lower T14 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Horrible first semester grades at Lower T14

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:04 pm

Got first semester grades back: B, B-, C. 2.5 GPA.

Feeling completely indifferent about grades and law school at this point. I half-regretted my decision to attend law school week 1 of first semester. I genuinely did/do not enjoy the experience and have not connected with the law school community at all. Contemplating what to do...

I have prior work experience, so not K-JD. I am (was) slightly interested in transactional work and have had some work experience in big law. I've realized along the way that I don't really care about law, but I also recognize that this is a great opportunity. The decision to go to law school in itself was more of a practical/logical decision and I weighed it carefully before making the plunge, but I think that I'm just going through the motions.

I know that my grades can improve-- I know exactly what I did wrong last semester and I've committed to working harder (smarter) if I decide to stay, but in the end I know that I honestly don't feel the "passion" that my classmates seem to have.

Thoughts?

zhenders

Silver

Re: Horrible first semester grades at Lower T14

Post by zhenders » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:30 pm

It sounds pretty clear you're in law school for Biglaw, and corporate work in particular. If you hate the law, you won't enjoy that work either -- but if you're committed to this path, then 150% of your effort should go into turning your grades around completely. You are definitely not anywhere close to a "safe" zone for Biglaw right now, so if you don't feel confident you can put in the additional effort to make sure your grades turn around, really evaluate whether you're willing to do the remaining 2 years.

The big number 1, though, is to really figure out if you want to do the law. If you really hate it, I think you have your answer mate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:31 pm

I was in your shoes not too long ago. I wish I can tell you it gets better if you stick with it. It didn't for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was in your shoes not too long ago. I wish I can tell you it gets better if you stick with it. It didn't for me.
How so? Please explain.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:24 pm

What gpa would one needed to be competitive for a 2L SA at Vandy?

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm

If you feel in your gut that law isn't a good fit for you, don't stick with it for the sake of sticking with it.

Law school and law were a great fit for me, but before law school, I spent a couple years in a very different program. Going in, I was convinced it was a good decision, yet I started to have misgivings even during orientation. One week into classes, I knew I had made a huge mistake. But I didn't want to be a quitter. I didn't want to be flaky. I didn't want to be the TYPE of person who starts a graduate program and drops out a week in. So I told myself it would be okay, and I stuck with it. I stayed for the full two-year program (not that I got the degree; the whole thing was such a mistake that I ultimately crashed and burned), and it took me another year to get into law school. Holistically, they were great years - low stress, great city, rooming with one of my best friends, chilling with our other friends all the time, etc. But professionally, it was three years almost entirely down the drain. I can sell the experience a little in my practice, and at least I know how right law is for me, but that's about it.

Crucially, I was paying about $8k tuition per semester and $300 rent. My parents basically covered it out of pocket. Typical law school debt would make this a much worse story.

Maybe you should stay, but stay for the right reasons, and be aware of how many wrong (but sensible-sounding) ones there are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”