How to Coast in Biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hdr

Bronze

Re: How to Coast in Biglaw

Post by hdr » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:31 pm
So, my goal is to survive until summer then get severance. Soon to be 2nd year corp associate at sweatshop. Already talked to about hours early 2020 bc of slow months. Had a rough review, but still getting bonus. How long can a 2nd year coast with minimal work before being pushed out? Been pushing back against BS work, but trying to last 6 months with 120 or less a month. Can it be done?
Pre-COVID you could probably expect to make it until the mid-year review, but you shouldn't count on it now. If the firm decides to purge a group of slow associates, as many firms did at various points last year, you'll probably be selected to go. You may want to try to lateral and then coast another year or two at a new firm.

lomp123

New

Post by lomp123 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:07 am

This isn’t necessarily a question about coasting, but I figured this would be the best place to ask. Does anyone have any advice for how to deal with staffing? I just started out in the fall but have been billing a consistent 50-60 hours a week over the past two weeks and keep getting asked to be staffed to new deals. I think I can last in big law at 50-60 hour weeks, but I’m worried about burn out if I keep getting staffed to new deals every week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:48 pm

lomp123 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:07 am
This isn’t necessarily a question about coasting, but I figured this would be the best place to ask. Does anyone have any advice for how to deal with staffing? I just started out in the fall but have been billing a consistent 50-60 hours a week over the past two weeks and keep getting asked to be staffed to new deals. I think I can last in big law at 50-60 hour weeks, but I’m worried about burn out if I keep getting staffed to new deals every week.
Every time they ask you to be staffed on a new deal say that you are at capacity with current deals which may become even more busy. 50-60 hour weeks is a lot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:21 pm

I cannot imagine billing 50-60 hour weeks. I also just started in the fall and have been billing 45 hour weeks, which translates to 65+ hours working/at my desk/being responsive. And I’m already contemplating quitting. Literally how do people work this hard? I just don’t think I have the grind for biglaw. Should have realized sooner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:21 pm
I cannot imagine billing 50-60 hour weeks. I also just started in the fall and have been billing 45 hour weeks, which translates to 65+ hours working/at my desk/being responsive. And I’m already contemplating quitting. Literally how do people work this hard? I just don’t think I have the grind for biglaw. Should have realized sooner.
4th year here and I remember feeling this way, too. Over time you will get your realization up. If you have 45 hours of work to bill in a week, you should be "working" perhaps 55 hours or so and not 65+. 55 hours is unpleasant, but in my opinion fairly sustainable: something like 10 hours M-Th, 8 hours Fri, either a 7 hour weekend day with one day off or a pair of 3 hour weekend mornings.

For me, I'm usually "working" from 9 AM to 7 PM with about an hour off (total of 9 hours worked), and then again from 8:30 to 9:30 or so. Do that four days a week and then call it quits at 6:00 on Friday, then sprinkle in some weekend work but make time to relax too. And of course, you can the occasional weeknight off, or you can just get really good at making 9:30-midnight your leisure time.

(I don't want to do this forever, but I've decided that I will do it at least another year in exchange for more than $300,000.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:21 pm
4th year here and I remember feeling this way, too. Over time you will get your realization up. If you have 45 hours of work to bill in a week, you should be "working" perhaps 55 hours or so and not 65+. 55 hours is unpleasant, but in my opinion fairly sustainable: something like 10 hours M-Th, 8 hours Fri, either a 7 hour weekend day with one day off or a pair of 3 hour weekend mornings.

For me, I'm usually "working" from 9 AM to 7 PM with about an hour off (total of 9 hours worked), and then again from 8:30 to 9:30 or so. Do that four days a week and then call it quits at 6:00 on Friday, then sprinkle in some weekend work but make time to relax too. And of course, you can the occasional weeknight off, or you can just get really good at making 9:30-midnight your leisure time.

(I don't want to do this forever, but I've decided that I will do it at least another year in exchange for more than $300,000.)
Yeah, idk. Still sounds...not great, and that’s with 4th year efficiency. I feel like I’d rather do almost any other job at this point lol. Honestly the only thing holding me back from quitting is the optics of it/sunk cost fallacy. It’s not the money really.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:51 am

Really nothing can be said that will change that feeling. It must extra suck to go through your first year under these conditions. Best hope to offer is what others already said/say: over time you will adapt, and relatively quickly compared to what you expect of yourself.
-4th yr that recently came to the realization that I'm going to quit sometime in the next year or two.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:18 pm

I would really like to hear more input on coasting from the pros, but I also can contribute that it seems like the remote environment right now is great. No one knows what anyone is doing so I am avoiding work I don't want to do and I'm able to grab the work I do want to do (more chill, less short-deadline work). I do this by only staying on the radar of people I want to work with. Anyone else have thoughts on this or their other strategies?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:08 pm

This is the first year I hit hours. I’m a fourth year in a specialty group.

First year, I billed 1150 hours. They told me to try harder, but weren’t too worried about it. I played dumb and said that it took me a lot longer to learn stuff and I couldn’t bill clients for background learning. Partners said to bill everything. I didn’t seek out work and did okay work. When stuff was urgent, partners bypassed me because my work wasn’t good or quick enough for them to turn.

Second year, I was at my firm the first 7 months. I billed 350 hours and lateraled to my second firm. I used the same tactic. I got multiple talks about my hours. I told partners I was trying. I got involved in firm work (random groups, going to events, etc.) and had a lot of people like me. I think that is the only reason I didn’t get the axe at like month 3 or 4 of the year.

I billed 650 or so hours at my second firm and blamed it on onbording. The partners commented on my low billable hours, but otherwise didn’t really care. My work was still very sloppy (still presentable). But I just didn’t care. I didn’t proofread memos I drafted and stuff. I didn’t properly cite, etc, I just did enough to get something to the partner for review. Once in a while, I gave my opinion on certain matters and partners were impressed by my contributions. Made sure to build rapport with important partners to act like I want to be at the firm long-term.

Third year, pre-COVID, I billed under 150 hours/month the first two months. Partners made a stink about me not carrying my weight. COVID hits and I end up having a string of 220+ hour months. By July 1, I’m at like 1100 hours, and work dies down. I end up billing 100-120 hours/month from July to October. No one says anything because my hours still look okay. November and December are unfortunately busy so I end up hitting hours the first time in my career. Partners praise me in my reviews for being a “team player” and completely forgetting how terrible I was at the beginning of the year.

January, so far, back to 50 hours. On track for maybe 60-75 hours. I bill like 20 hours during the week and “plan” on billing some on the weekend. Never get to it. I’ve started looking elsewhere to extend my mediocre career.

I’m expecting to get the talk soon. Other associate left, so I’m alone now. So I think I can maybe make it one more year if I can hit 100+ hours a month.

Lateraling has been difficult because of the multiple jumps. Hopefully I find something before the day I get the talk plus 3 months (so I can collect severance).

At the end of the day, I think as long as you’re likable, you can last in this profession. I always go to every social event, try to get to know all the partners/assistants, go to happy hours, etc. I think it makes them feel guiltier when they do consider firing me.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness post. Just wanted to add info of someone who has truly coasted.

Edit:

My hours at my first firm were 9:30-5:30 M-F most weeks. I always took an hour lunch break to go eat with friends. Sometimes I took 2 hour breaks. I was on Facebook/ESPN most of the day. I worked 1 weekend during my 1+ years there.

My current firm, I usually start at 10:30-11 and am off by 7. Since WFH, I take a midday nap around 3. I take a lunch break around 12:30 and a dinner break around 5. When we were in the office, I always took a 1 hour lunch break, which is rarer for my firm. People knew not to email me from 12-1. I do work more weekends with this schedule than at my former firm, though.

Edit:

I’m not at a V50 firm or in NY. I’m in another major market making very close to market though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:51 am
Really nothing can be said that will change that feeling. It must extra suck to go through your first year under these conditions. Best hope to offer is what others already said/say: over time you will adapt, and relatively quickly compared to what you expect of yourself.
-4th yr that recently came to the realization that I'm going to quit sometime in the next year or two.
Not really sure I want to adapt to this life tbh. Every evening/weekend that I work I have deep existential dread about how I’m wasting my life. Have a couple of other opportunities I’m looking at right now (one legal and one non legal) and just thinking through timing—i.e., the difference in optics between 5 and 6 months on my resume, deal timing, etc.—and how to explain leaving to people.

grandedestroyer

New

Post by grandedestroyer » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:08 pm

First year, I billed 1150 hours. They told me to try harder, but weren’t too worried about it. I played dumb and said that it took me a lot longer to learn stuff and I couldn’t bill clients for background learning. Partners said to bill everything. I didn’t seek out work and did okay work. When stuff was urgent, partners bypassed me because my work wasn’t good or quick enough for them to turn.

Second year, I was at my firm the first 7 months. I billed 350 hours and lateraled to my second firm. I used the same tactic. I got multiple talks about my hours. I told partners I was trying. I got involved in firm work (random groups, going to events, etc.) and had a lot of people like me. I think that is the only reason I didn’t get the axe at like month 3 or 4 of the year.

I billed 650 or so hours at my second firm and blamed it on onbording. The partners commented on my low billable hours, but otherwise didn’t really care. My work was still very sloppy (still presentable). But I just didn’t care. I didn’t proofread memos I drafted and stuff. I didn’t properly cite, etc, I just did enough to get something to the partner for review. Once in a while, I gave my opinion on certain matters and partners were impressed by my contributions. Made sure to build rapport with important partners to act like I want to be at the firm long-term.

Third year, pre-COVID, I billed under 150 hours/month the first two months. Partners made a stink about me not carrying my weight. COVID hits and I end up having a string of 220+ hour months. By July 1, I’m at like 1100 hours, and work dies down. I end up billing 100-120 hours/month from July to October. No one says anything because my hours still look okay. November and December are unfortunately busy so I end up hitting hours the first time in my career. Partners praise me in my reviews for being a “team player” and completely forgetting how terrible I was at the beginning of the year.

January, so far, back to 50 hours. On track for maybe 60-75 hours. I bill like 20 hours during the week and “plan” on billing some on the weekend. Never get to it. I’ve started looking elsewhere to extend my mediocre career.

I’m expecting to get the talk soon. Other associate left, so I’m alone now. So I think I can maybe make it one more year if I can hit 100+ hours a month.

Lateraling has been difficult because of the multiple jumps. Hopefully I find something before the day I get the talk plus 3 months (so I can collect severance).

At the end of the day, I think as long as you’re likable, you can last in this profession. I always go to every social event, try to get to know all the partners/assistants, go to happy hours, etc. I think it makes them feel guiltier when they do consider firing me.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness post. Just wanted to add info of someone who has truly coasted.

Edit:

My hours at my first firm were 9:30-5:30 M-F most weeks. I always took an hour lunch break to go eat with friends. Sometimes I took 2 hour breaks. I was on Facebook/ESPN most of the day. I worked 1 weekend during my 1+ years there.

My current firm, I usually start at 10:30-11 and am off by 7. Since WFH, I take a midday nap around 3. I take a lunch break around 12:30 and a dinner break around 5. When we were in the office, I always took a 1 hour lunch break, which is rarer for my firm. People knew not to email me from 12-1. I do work more weekends with this schedule than at my former firm, though.

Edit:

I’m not at a V50 firm or in NY. I’m in another major market making very close to market though.
God I wanna be you

hidinglight

New

Post by hidinglight » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Edit:

Edit:

Sir, you are an absolute beast. This is gold.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:05 pm

How much should I be aiming to bill/coast when I'm quitting soon? Expect to give notice in the next few weeks. Zero motivation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hdr

Bronze

Post by hdr » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:05 pm
How much should I be aiming to bill/coast when I'm quitting soon? Expect to give notice in the next few weeks. Zero motivation.
If you're certain you're quitting soon you should bill as little as possible and hope that you're terminated with severance before your scheduled end date. If you're trying to last indefinitely, I'd aim for 60-80 hours/month; that should give you 6-12 months unless your firm has been stealthing slow attorneys. If you bill 30-40 hours/month you might only get away with it for 3 months. This varies a lot by firm.

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:24 pm

does actually working so little to the point of getting fired, e.g. working even less than coasting, risk having negative references in the future?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:26 pm

hdr wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:05 pm
If you're certain you're quitting soon you should bill as little as possible and hope that you're terminated with severance before your scheduled end date. If you're trying to last indefinitely, I'd aim for 60-80 hours/month; that should give you 6-12 months unless your firm has been stealthing slow attorneys. If you bill 30-40 hours/month you might only get away with it for 3 months. This varies a lot by firm.
Thanks, that's a helpful ballpark. I am certain I'm quitting, but quitting far too soon to be fired w/severance before then. On the other hand, I don't have to worry about lasting 6-12 months (or even 3).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:25 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:51 am
Not really sure I want to adapt to this life tbh. Every evening/weekend that I work I have deep existential dread about how I’m wasting my life. Have a couple of other opportunities I’m looking at right now (one legal and one non legal) and just thinking through timing—i.e., the difference in optics between 5 and 6 months on my resume, deal timing, etc.—and how to explain leaving to people.
I'm the anon above who is quitting soon.

I felt exactly like you from day one of this job and my only regret is that I stayed as long as I did. If you have options to leave, I would leave. Don't worry about optics, what people think, etc. It's your life.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Edit:

Edit:

What's your long term plan?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:45 pm

jotarokujo wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:24 pm
does actually working so little to the point of getting fired, e.g. working even less than coasting, risk having negative references in the future?
Yes, regardless of what the movie Office Space says.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:55 pm

I had a really good run of coasting for several years. A few bad spots here and there when staffed on bad deals, but overall, pretty good life. Rarely worked weekends.

But then I fucked up by lateraling again to keep the ball rolling and I can't seem to escape work. Horrible, horrible mistake and I'm trying to exit biglaw entirely but can't even seem to get a screener anywhere.

alawyer2018

New

Post by alawyer2018 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Edit:

Edit:

I LOLed. This is reminiscent of Office Space. Made my day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:14 am

If you have access to regulatory or lit, use compliance review/ doc review to pad your hours. You can do it while you wait for the other side’s draft. Easy 10-hr days + take vacation whenever deals are slow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2021 6:02 pm

Any tips on coasting while in conflicts limbo before I give notice? I've been waiting for my conflicts review to be completed by the firm I'm lateraling to for around a month now (no indication that there are any issues). My March and April have been sub-150 hour months after a busy January/February, so partners have been hitting me up to staff me on their deals. How can I avoid new work without raising suspicions that my departure is imminent?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:04 pm

Any tips for coasting as a lateral? Just want to last for two more years at my new place

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:19 am

The honest answer to all of this is padding. We all do it, but some are too scared to do too much.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”