As a future litigation lawyer - skills in analyzing and summarizing information? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rstitan

New

As a future litigation lawyer - skills in analyzing and summarizing information?

Post by rstitan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:20 am

I have just had an internship in a law firm's litigation department. The firm handles a lot of complex commercial disputes, which often involve many parties and even more transactions over a long period of time. The affidavits are easily over 50 pages (which consists of conflicting information or different viewpoints of a same event), not to mention the hundreds of pages of other documents that I'll have to read.

I know that in the future as a litigation lawyer, I would be expected by my boss to be able to analyze, summarize and remember most information in a case. I find this to be extremely challenging, and so far I think I have not done a very good job.

How do you guys develop the skills to handle complex facts for your future career? Are there any books that can teach people how to analyze and summarize complex information better? I have thought of using speed reading techniques, but then as a student it may be fine, but as a lawyer I know I will miss out important information and probably screw up the case.

Thanks!

mjb447

Silver

Re: As a future litigation lawyer - skills in analyzing and summarizing information?

Post by mjb447 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Most people aren't that good at it when they start out. The most comprehensive remediation program is three years' law school followed by being a lawyer. Seriously, a lot of the training is on-the-job, learn as you go. (Also, the more experienced and involved in a case you are, the more you'll realize that disputes often boil down to a few key facts or arguments spread unhelpfully over fifty pages.)

rstitan

New

Re: As a future litigation lawyer - skills in analyzing and summarizing information?

Post by rstitan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:01 am

mjb447 wrote:Most people aren't that good at it when they start out. The most comprehensive remediation program is three years' law school followed by being a lawyer. Seriously, a lot of the training is on-the-job, learn as you go. (Also, the more experienced and involved in a case you are, the more you'll realize that disputes often boil down to a few key facts or arguments spread unhelpfully over fifty pages.)
During the 2-month internship, my boss wasn't very patient with me and doesn't really teach me much, especially the skills required in handling very complex facts. I would be grateful if any of you can share some tips, advice or books about how to effectively summarize and analyze information. :D

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”