Would it be weird to state semester grades from 3L to 1L? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Would it be weird to state semester grades from 3L to 1L?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:57 pm

On an unofficial transcript. My 2L and 3L grades (a lot of As in business/corporate laws, which is my target practice group) are much better than 1L's. Would it be weird to state semester grades backward from 3L to 1L?

Also, what if I don't state my overall GPA on my resume?
I have very transferrable work experiences prior to law school in my target practice area. Big law partners said that my WE is impressive and very relevant, and will consider me for my WE. So I guess my WE will catch the recruiter's eyes but my overall GPA, due to my 1L grade, is mediocre.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Would it be weird to state semester grades from 3L to 1L?

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:18 pm

Yeah all that sounds weird to me

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:24 pm

BigZuck wrote:Yeah all that sounds weird to me

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On an unofficial transcript. My 2L and 3L grades (a lot of As in business/corporate laws, which is my target practice group) are much better than 1L's. Would it be weird to state semester grades backward from 3L to 1L?

Also, what if I don't state my overall GPA on my resume?
I have very transferrable work experiences prior to law school in my target practice area. Big law partners said that my WE is impressive and very relevant, and will consider me for my WE. So I guess my WE will catch the recruiter's eyes but my overall GPA, due to my 1L grade, is mediocre.
Nice try dude, but yes that would be weird. People would notice and it would highlight your GPA more than you want. If your WE is impressive let that speak for yourself, don't try to hide other things to make it stand out.

You can state your overall GPA and do a second line that is something like "highest grades/achievements, etc" and list a few relevant corp/business classes you got As in. My school had a resume template that featured a line like that.

Leaving out your GPA entirely is a signal to any biglaw recruiter that you have a bad one, I wouldn't advise ever doing that unless it's really bad, not just mediocre.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”