Legal employment abroad questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Legal employment abroad questions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:08 pm

Hi guys. So I'll make this short:

I am an American who holds citizenship from a specific EU country where I have lived for the past 6 years. I have a reasonably good LSAT score and GPA which according to mylsn.info would put me comfortably in a few T-14s.

My end goal is to work in NY which is my hometown, but since I'm currently living abroad it wouldn't be out of the question for me to return to the EU one day after law school or maybe even after a few years in NY. How hard is it for a person to land a job with a firm's satellite office? And do US-trained attorneys get paid US firm salaries, or are they paid local salaries? By no means is this a must for me. I'm just curious.

I am a non-trad student with significant work experience in an EU institution.

Thanks!

T14Dilemma

New

Re: Legal employment abroad questions

Post by T14Dilemma » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:46 pm

Hi! I work at a US firm's satellite office abroad. As far as I'm aware, in general, US-trained attorneys at US firms abroad will always receive US salaries. It took me a while to find a job abroad (about 9 months). But, one of my big obstacles was that I was lateraling from a different US firm and was not yet barred in NY. If you start your career in NY and then transfer to that firm's satellite office, it will probably be a lot easier for you than it will be to lateral to a different firm's satellite office abroad. Furthermore, I'm sure your dual citizenship will only help you in your search.

Anonymous User

Re: Legal employment abroad questions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:49 pm

Thank you so much for the reply!

I will do my best once the time comes to target schools with satellite offices in the cities abroad where I'd like to work.

If possible and without going into too much detail, could you speak to the work culture at your firm's office? I'm curious to see if international offices practice the local work/home balance. My partner who is Dutch comes from a culture with a very different view of work than us in the US!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”