I F'ing Suck at Attention to Detail Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: I F'ing Suck at Attention to Detail

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:05 pm

Sounds like you're a good lawyer OP. The reason why you're not going to receive much advice for fixing the mistakes you are making is because most people on TLS work at a large firm where access to substantive work is limited. So the only thing we are judged in is proofreading and typos. I think that you just get better with experience. Although I don't have much experience myself so who knows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:47 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:I also would not--ever--close out outlook. Don't want to miss an important email, ever.
OP again. We are in the Midwest and have a much looser practice than I imagine most on here are accustomed to. The standard reply time to anyone--client or partner--is 24 hours. Closing email has eliminated a ton of distractions for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:11 pm

Three things:

- When you're not sure how to handle things, even when the deadline is three hours away, it's better to ask questions and then proceed, than rush to get it done well before it has to be turned in. A lot of people hate when you ask questions, but people hate you more when you spend your budget (or more) on a project and it's all wrong because of one mistake that you could have asked about halfway through the project. If you can't ask the partner, you need to start finding other people to ask (other associates, paralegals, assistants, whomever).

- In terms of making mistakes, you will learn the importance of things/etc. in time. You have to get comfortable doing stupid things. You'll be doing a lot of them every time your responsibilities shift.

- For things you do a lot, maybe it's helpful to make a checklist of what you need to do/make a crib sheet explaining what you need to look out for. Then you can slow yourself down by referring to the crib sheet, and then adding to it as you go when you come across questions you haven't answered yet.

Genius

Silver

Post by Genius » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:55 am

What I learned recently is that you might be a better writer than 50% of the morons who drafted the templates in the shared docs. Not to stereotype (actually I am) but my firm has about 200 attorneys just in my city's office and nearly 80%-90% of them are from TTT and can't write for shit. My boss happens to be a detail oriented person and I noticed that each time I copy pasta and work from a template, I get chewed out. But when I draft shit on my own from scratch, I receive very little criticism. So I think the fine balance lies between having a healthy amount of confidence in yourself and using templates moderately with caution.

I am a first year and i suck. i miss stupid small things all the time. i wish i had a day or two to just re-read shit and revise but my boss is always on a time crunch and flirts with missing deadlines. Meticulous, but also a procrastinator. The worst kind of boss to learn from.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:54 am

Genius wrote:What I learned recently is that you might be a better writer than 50% of the morons who drafted the templates in the shared docs. Not to stereotype (actually I am) but my firm has about 200 attorneys just in my city's office and nearly 80%-90% of them are from TTT and can't write for shit. My boss happens to be a detail oriented person and I noticed that each time I copy pasta and work from a template, I get chewed out. But when I draft shit on my own from scratch, I receive very little criticism. So I think the fine balance lies between having a healthy amount of confidence in yourself and using templates moderately with caution.

I am a first year and i suck. i miss stupid small things all the time. i wish i had a day or two to just re-read shit and revise but my boss is always on a time crunch and flirts with missing deadlines. Meticulous, but also a procrastinator. The worst kind of boss to learn from.
Sort of like copying pasta.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Fancy

Silver

Post by Mr. Fancy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:47 pm

Yeah, this doesn't sound like you suck at attention to detail but jrather just don't have very strong analytical skills. You might be able to mask some of that as you learn/become more comfortable with the law but working at a law firm doesn't seem to be for you.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:37 am

Mr. Fancy wrote:Yeah, this doesn't sound like you suck at attention to detail but jrather just don't have very strong analytical skills. You might be able to mask some of that as you learn/become more comfortable with the law but working at a law firm doesn't seem to be for you.
Smh

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”