How much travel in biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Re: How much travel in biglaw?

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:04 am

JenDarby wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:Do associates fly business class or coach?
It depends IME. If you are flying alone usually no. If you are flying with a partner who is flying first class, and the client is paying for it (i.e., partner didn't upgrade him or herself), the associate may fly first class/business.
haven't you been at a firm for maybe 12 weeks?
He's already v important, I'm surprised he divulged this much info without going anon

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:19 pm

White collar = racking up miles, maybe in business class, to interview people in whatever backwater place they're located.
Civil litigation = racking up fewer miles in economy to appear in whatever backwater court you're litigating in.

Travel can kinda suck but at least it generally means you're involved in the important parts of the case. Better than stuck at your desk.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:44 pm

WheatThins wrote:Do people still like flying and sleeping in hotel beds? Would way rather not travel for work.
Just depends on the person. I like traveling for work but I think I would get tired of it eventually. My dad would be v depressed if he didn't travel for work. Other people hate it.

Getting to bill the whole trip would be sweet though.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:44 pm

Mlk&Ckies wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:Do associates fly business class or coach?
It depends IME. If you are flying alone usually no. If you are flying with a partner who is flying first class, and the client is paying for it (i.e., partner didn't upgrade him or herself), the associate may fly first class/business.
haven't you been at a firm for maybe 12 weeks?
He's already v important, I'm surprised he divulged this much info without going anon
Lol just restating the gist of the policies I know as they were communicated to me. Thats also been my limited experience although I'm sure it varies from firm to firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:18 am

So, I actually love business traveling and am interested in going into a white collar or SEC defense practice at a firm. Any tips on what firms might have more travel opportunities than others? Also, is it more regional specific (i.e. DC office associates travel more than West Coast office, or anything like that)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I actually love business traveling and am interested in going into a white collar or SEC defense practice at a firm. Any tips on what firms might have more travel opportunities than others? Also, is it more regional specific (i.e. DC office associates travel more than West Coast office, or anything like that)?
I don't think this is a good reason to pick your firm/office location. Just my $0.02.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:21 pm

You know those videos of what you think will happen versus what actually happens? That's how I personally feel about business travel.

When I was in college I used to love the idea of traveling for work. It all sounded very exciting: flying to new places on someone else's dime and taking a break from routine.

In practice though, I ended up completely hating it.

Although going to new places and doing something different is still fun, the rest not so much. Things like trying to keep suits in form, eating out for every meal multiple days, sleeping in a hotel room for more than a week gets old pretty quick, if the day is packed you don't really get to explore much, and just being away from family.

On the other hand, one of my colleagues (in a different office) loves to travel because it gives him a break from his three young kids. So to each their own, I guess.

patentlitigatrix

Silver

Post by patentlitigatrix » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:51 pm

zot1 wrote:You know those videos of what you think will happen versus what actually happens? That's how I personally feel about business travel.

When I was in college I used to love the idea of traveling for work. It all sounded very exciting: flying to new places on someone else's dime and taking a break from routine.

In practice though, I ended up completely hating it.

Although going to new places and doing something different is still fun, the rest not so much. Things like trying to keep suits in form, eating out for every meal multiple days, sleeping in a hotel room for more than a week gets old pretty quick, if the day is packed you don't really get to explore much, and just being away from family.

On the other hand, one of my colleagues (in a different office) loves to travel because it gives him a break from his three young kids. So to each their own, I guess.
Yeah, this bolded part. I can't even relate to the non-bolded part. I miss my husband and kids during the work day when I am not traveling, let alone when I am traveling. But yes to each their own I guess.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I actually love business traveling and am interested in going into a white collar or SEC defense practice at a firm. Any tips on what firms might have more travel opportunities than others? Also, is it more regional specific (i.e. DC office associates travel more than West Coast office, or anything like that)?
As a general matter you'll probably travel more at a firm that handles a lot of big internal investigations. Maybe FCPA in particular -- lot of foreign witness interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:56 pm

varies by case, practice group, whether or not you're in a satellite office, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”