Late offers - need advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Late offers - need advice

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:42 pm

Hey all,

Glad to be back on here. So here's the sitch:

I worked at a mid-size firm this past summer. They usually only take on a few summers a year, and I was lucky enough to be selected to work there.

But here's the kicker: this firm, for whatever reason, is very slow at giving offers. Previous summers the firm has hired didn't receive offers until December or January, which is extremely late, IMO. This makes me very anxious re: searching for a job in 3L.

Now, none of the other summers have received offers as of yet, so presumably I didn't get no-offered, nor did they no-offer an entire class.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Basically, what I want to know is the following: is it appropriate to follow up to ask how the decision-making process is going, and if so, how would I go about doing it?

champ33

Bronze

Re: Late offers - need advice

Post by champ33 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:24 am

I would not do this unless you can give them a reason why, like an approaching deadline for another offer. I can't think of any other approach that isn't awkward and unnecessary. I'm sure they know you're waiting on a decision. Meanwhile, apply to other jobs.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:26 am

do you currently work there during the school year part time? Or do they just sit on the offers from the summer time? If the latter, thats rough. I hope it works out for you.

I probably wouldn't ask -- sure, it might force their hand and you may find out quicker, but it also may remove you from consideration (as ridiculous as that sounds). Keep applying and DO NOT under any circumstance rely solely on that offer.

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:36 am

What you need to do is apply/mass mail/ interview like crazy and assume you are not getting the job. If you get an offer from a new firm then you should contract your summer firm and say something like "Although, I'm interested in working here I did receive an offer from XYZ but before I accept I would like to check the status of my candidacy..." You get the picture. For smaller/midsized firms they often do not know their needs as far in advance as big firms. Good luck. I was in a similar position as you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:04 pm

Devlin wrote:What you need to do is apply/mass mail/ interview like crazy and assume you are not getting the job. If you get an offer from a new firm then you should contract your summer firm and say something like "Although, I'm interested in working here I did receive an offer from XYZ but before I accept I would like to check the status of my candidacy..." You get the picture. For smaller/midsized firms they often do not know their needs as far in advance as big firms. Good luck. I was in a similar position as you.
Second it. I was in a similar position too. Did not get it tho.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”