LLM/Masters for Academia Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LLM/Masters for Academia

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:17 am

This might be naive, but I'm wondering if anyone has insight into the added value of an LLM or Masters degree post-JD for pursuing a desirable fellowship or other academic placement at a law school. To be specific, I have a top law degree and I'm completing a federal COA clerkship, but I am concerned that my profile is still a little light and that I need more time to be taken seriously (Yes I have consulted my former professors about this). I am not quite qualified for a SCOTUS clerkship. Moreover, I have several publications in law journals and extensive research experience but no articles that gained much traction outside my law school or that have been widely cited. I think I could benefit in this regard from 6-9 months of sustained research and supervision. That being said, I don't want to waste time and resources on a worthless degree and/or experience.

I was looking mostly at the Gates or Clarendon fellowships for an LLM, with a research fulbright as a secondary option; I would not attend if I had to take out additional loans. Of course I am not presuming that I would necessarily receive these fellowships, but I have strong undergraduate and law school academics in line with the credentials of previous fellows. Would these one-two year degrees be a complete waste or could they boost my chances at academic positions in the US?

Thanks.

Snuffles1

New

Re: LLM/Masters for Academia

Post by Snuffles1 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:53 am

PM me.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”