Dallas BigLaw Lateral Market Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dallas BigLaw Lateral Market

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:18 pm

Does anyone know how the Dallas Biglaw lateral market is? Are any of the big firms hiring? Specifically interested in mid-level litigation... TIA for any insight!

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Re: Dallas BigLaw Lateral Market

Post by unlicensedpotato » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:34 am

Saw a Dallas Hayboo posting today for a lit associate.

Dallas has few enough firms that you should just apply though if you want to move. Reach out to people you know at the firm, otherwise go through recruiting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:06 am

Not sure how helpful this is but know a 4th year that recently latereled from an AmLaw 200 firm to another AmLaw 200 (both in the Dallas office of non-Dallas based firms)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:18 pm

Is the lateral market in Dallas really bad or do Dallas firms rely more on recruiters?

I've been checking the jobs webpages for the national firms, but there aren't many openings in their Dallas offices. I have seen a couple job postings from recruiters (even offering bonuses to come to Texas), but I can't tell which firms they represent.

Also, for firms that never advertise job openings on their websites, is it best to just send blind cover letters? For example, the following firms never advertise job openings, but have recently hired new associates:
JACKSON WALKER
SIDLEY AUSTIN
GARDERE
ANDREWS KURTH
WEIL

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is the lateral market in Dallas really bad or do Dallas firms rely more on recruiters?

I've been checking the jobs webpages for the national firms, but there aren't many openings in their Dallas offices. I have seen a couple job postings from recruiters (even offering bonuses to come to Texas), but I can't tell which firms they represent.

Also, for firms that never advertise job openings on their websites, is it best to just send blind cover letters? For example, the following firms never advertise job openings, but have recently hired new associates:
JACKSON WALKER
SIDLEY AUSTIN
GARDERE
ANDREWS KURTH
WEIL
This was my experience too. I lateraled into Dallas earlier this year. No one was hiring according to the websites but that seemed impossible. I just used a recruiter and got 5 interviews immediately at major firms. Often, firms won't even post a position on their website until deep in the conflicts check process with a candidate...that may be why you don't see anything. That was my experience anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”