Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
misterjames

Bronze

Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer

Post by misterjames » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:26 pm

Why would they name it that?

sublime

Diamond

Re: Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer

Post by sublime » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:28 pm

Arnold and Porter is the bigger brand, so they wanted to keep it as close to that as possible, I assume.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:35 pm

A&P KS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:41 pm

Lulz to the kids in my class that picked AP for dat prestige.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:06 am

How will this affect summer class sizes and offer rates?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:How will this affect summer class sizes and offer rates?
My guess--and just that, a guess--is that it won't affect offer rates this coming summer. The new firm has a vested interest in showing the public that the new entity is "strong," and SA offer rate is one way to signal strength to the public.

That said, I'd imagine future summer classes will be slightly smaller, particularly in locations where both firms had a decent sized presence (i.e. New York). Overall smaller -- so if A&P had 10 summers in xyz city, and Kaye Scholer had 25 SA in same xyz city --> next year they may have 30 total, rather than 35.

Again...just a guess.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:56 pm

Chances are not insignificant that they will streamline at the junior and SA level.

Firm mergers are short term profitable by inheriting the accounts receivable of the target while inheriting slightly fewer of the partners. But because they lose the future business of the partners that don't come over, A. that means net less work for associates and B. future profitability will come short term from cutting expenses rather than a synergy of merged practices/specialties (which comes later). And the number one expense of law firms is, you guessed it, associate salaries.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:39 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd imagine future summer classes will be slightly smaller, particularly in locations where both firms had a decent sized presence (i.e. New York). Overall smaller -- so if A&P had 10 summers in xyz city, and Kaye Scholer had 25 SA in same xyz city --> next year they may have 30 total, rather than 35.
I'd say this is most likely. So probably a technical net lose of available SA spots, but not by a terrible amount.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”