Blond Hair in Big Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fordhamnj

New

Blond Hair in Big Law

Post by fordhamnj » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:57 am

This may seem like a ridiculous question but I have always lightened my hair to be blond. My family and friends at law school are telling me you can't do big law with that because only brown hair on men is conservative unless the blond is natural. Is this true?

Sorry I know this might be a crazy question but I don't want to not get a FT offer because of hair.

clerk1251

Bronze

Re: Blond Hair in Big Law

Post by clerk1251 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:08 pm

fordhamnj wrote:This may seem like a ridiculous question but I have always lightened my hair to be blond. My family and friends at law school are telling me you can't do big law with that because only brown hair on men is conservative unless the blond is natural. Is this true?

Sorry I know this might be a crazy question but I don't want to not get a FT offer because of hair.
You are correct, that was a ridiculous question. There is no problem with having blonde hair. Blue hair, pink hair, green hair, maybe I could see an issue. Blonde, no problem.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:15 pm

Do you simply lighten it, or is it bleached in some kind of purposefully unnatural style? Blond hair is fine. If it's obviously dyed (like purposefully punk style or something or even just obvious frosted tips) that might put people off a little since men dyeing their hair is still a little outside the mainstream and the legal profession is very conservative. But just having blond hair isn't an issue (you wouldn't expect natural blonds to have to dye their hair dark, would you?).

fordhamnj

New

Post by fordhamnj » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:15 pm

Okay thank you. I thought this was a ridiculous point by people but I wasn't sure.
clerk1251 wrote:
fordhamnj wrote:This may seem like a ridiculous question but I have always lightened my hair to be blond. My family and friends at law school are telling me you can't do big law with that because only brown hair on men is conservative unless the blond is natural. Is this true?

You are correct, that was a ridiculous question. There is no problem with having blonde hair. Blue hair, pink hair, green hair, maybe I could see an issue. Blonde, no problem.

fordhamnj

New

Post by fordhamnj » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:17 pm

No, it's just lightened and blonde. It doesn't look fake and isn't a ridiculous color. It's just a preference type of thing. I have no idea why I was listening to people; I guess it was primarily fear of potentially losing an offer. After making the law school gamble and turning down jobs before law school, I didn't want to risk it in any way.
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Do you simply lighten it, or is it bleached in some kind of purposefully unnatural style? Blond hair is fine. If it's obviously dyed (like purposefully punk style or something or even just obvious frosted tips) that might put people off a little since men dyeing their hair is still a little outside the mainstream and the legal profession is very conservative. But just having blond hair isn't an issue (you wouldn't expect natural blonds to have to dye their hair dark, would you?).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:05 pm

I think we need a pic to answer this question.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:19 pm

Lincoln wrote:I think we need a pic to answer this question.

Boltsfan

New

Post by Boltsfan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:36 pm

This might be a boost now given the coiffure of the president elect.

fordhamnj

New

Post by fordhamnj » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:37 pm

http://a4.files.beautyeditor.ca/image/u ... g4MjA0.jpg
Lincoln wrote:I think we need a pic to answer this question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:44 pm

It looks fine.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:58 pm

On a scale of one to Fieri, just be much closer to the one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”