Reneging on accepted offer. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reneging on accepted offer.

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:14 am

Got an offer at a NY v50 this week after accepting a European biglaw offer a month ago.

Am I at risk of losing both if I accept NY and renege on regional? I'm American and would love to stay in the country if at all possible.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Re: Reneging on accepted offer.

Post by grand inquisitor » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:21 am

you should be fine just play up the geographic element

Genius

Silver

Post by Genius » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:04 pm

You can always reneg just as your firm can withdraw the offer or fire you without notice in your first month. Dont feel bad about it. They do it all the time on both sides.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:22 pm

Take whichever offer makes you happiest!

Reneg! They will happily rescind offers when it suits them so totally fair to do the same in reverse.

Will not have any impact on your career whatsoever beyond you being at a better job by reneging.

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:25 pm

The above posts are correct, especially if you're doing this for geographic reasons, do it and don't look back. Most people will understand. Plus, the firm you are reneging on for geographic reasons is probably catching a break that someone who doesn't want to be in Europe let them know before they invested even more time and money into training them.

Is it possible that it might negatively impact your career in the states? I mean, I guess anything is "possible." It's also possible I win the lottery. I don't base my life decisions around those kinds of odds though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:05 pm

A firm would have no issue yanking your offer if the numbers didn't work.

Do it and don't feel the slightest bit bad about it

Sincerely,
Member of BR offer-rescinding group

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:12 pm

Yeah, what everyone else said.

Don't worry about the firm.

And don't worry about your CSO either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:23 pm

So there is no risk of getting my New York offer revoked?

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:So there is no risk of getting my New York offer revoked?
I understand why you want to hear an answer that's an absolute. But you should already know there's no way anyone here can guarantee anything with 100% certainty. Please do not ignore reality (that the odds of your NY offer getting revoked over reneging on a European offer is almost none, so much so that the correct decision is to *definitely* take the NY offer) in search of fiction (someone giving you a meaningless guarantee that your offer won't get revoked).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Genius

Silver

Post by Genius » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:52 am

There is no guarantee your first offer wont be pulled either. Most likely not. Not any more or less than the possibility of your second offer being pulled.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:35 pm

Hijacking this thread for a similar scenario/question: Accepted an offer at at BL firm in NY after 2L summer. Now, via networking, might have an opportunity to join a significantly higher ranked firm in DC in a practice area that better fits my interests. How frowned upon would it be to reneg on prior offer, if I get an offer at the DC firm? Would I be burning significant bridges to the point where it will follow me throughout my legal career? I'm hesitant to go to career services because they typically seem to look out for their own interests.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:26 pm

At my very small first firm, we had at least 5 people reneg over the years. It is completely acceptable to do. Any organization will appreciate not bringing someone on who does not have strong long term interest.

Firms also understand life happens and life situations necessitate these renegings. European firms especially appreciate this because many of their attorneys depart back for america after just a couple years.

Anyways, you have two cities in your example. Just say personal developments necessitate you being closer to your family or significant other. They will understand.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”