Accept SA at Big Firm or Smaller Firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Accept SA at Big Firm or Smaller Firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:03 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Prana-9 wrote:Then, it's not a tough choice. 130k is pretty good for a job you will like and in the city you want to practice.
OP here. I should probably contact someone in the firm and ask about what the average bonuses are...
OP are you lit or trans. If lit I'd go with the smaller firm. If trans I'd go with the larger one.
Lit. Small does only lit. Large does lit/trans

Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: Accept SA at Big Firm or Smaller Firm?

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Prana-9 wrote:Then, it's not a tough choice. 130k is pretty good for a job you will like and in the city you want to practice.
OP here. I should probably contact someone in the firm and ask about what the average bonuses are...
OP are you lit or trans. If lit I'd go with the smaller firm. If trans I'd go with the larger one.
Lit. Small does only lit. Large does lit/trans
Yeah I don't think it matters as much for Lit. I've only been practicing for a year, but I've already seen people join my firm (secondary market biglaw) from really small firms that wouldn't be considered mid law. I just think if you get experience and already have big firm credentials, you can trade up in a few years when people are starting to leave biglaw. You would also likely avoid the bs doc review years at a huge firm and would probably build real skills during your first few years of practice.

You would also have the option of going somewhere even smaller if you have real litigation skills. The exit options for lit, from what I've seen, is usually more litigation at a different firm. I'm not sure that it matters as much where you start. But I could be wrong and would welcome contrary opinions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”