Full-time offer contingent on passing the bar Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Full-time offer contingent on passing the bar

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm a 3L deciding between two full-time offers for after graduation. One offer letter says it's contingent on me "becoming a member of the bar" in the state where the firm is located, but it says nothing about timing. The other offer letter says nothing about the bar.

I'm not concerned about passing the bar, but I also want to know I for sure have a job. Does anyone know of people with offers contingent on bar passage who failed? Did the firm let them retake and keep their job?

Boltsfan

New

Re: Full-time offer contingent on passing the bar

Post by Boltsfan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L deciding between two full-time offers for after graduation. One offer letter says it's contingent on me "becoming a member of the bar" in the state where the firm is located, but it says nothing about timing. The other offer letter says nothing about the bar.

I'm not concerned about passing the bar, but I also want to know I for sure have a job. Does anyone know of people with offers contingent on bar passage who failed? Did the firm let them retake and keep their job?
Many, but not all, large firms will give you a second chance to pass the bar if you fail. None that I know of give you a third. All jobs as attorneys are contingent on passing the bar. Unless this is really the coin-toss tie-breaker you have chosen to use between two firms that are otherwise indistinguishable to you, I would pick the one that is the better fit/has the practice areas you are more interested in.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:47 pm

Boltsfan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L deciding between two full-time offers for after graduation. One offer letter says it's contingent on me "becoming a member of the bar" in the state where the firm is located, but it says nothing about timing. The other offer letter says nothing about the bar.

Many, but not all, large firms will give you a second chance to pass the bar if you fail. None that I know of give you a third. All jobs as attorneys are contingent on passing the bar. Unless this is really the coin-toss tie-breaker you have chosen to use between two firms that are otherwise indistinguishable to you, I would pick the one that is the better fit/has the practice areas you are more interested in.
Yes, this language is totally meaningless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:53 pm

Our offer letters have the same language, but firm policy (same as everywhere else for the most part) is to give 2 tries. I have heard of multiple people getting a third try and being kept as a staff attorney--but this is obviously an undesirable demotion (title & pay) and far from guaranteed and these people were all laterals presumably barred somewhere else already.

Just do Barbri or whatever and complete the whole program and pass rates are something like 99%. I've taken multiple state bars (but not the new uniform one), be prepared, be confident, and type fast when applicable.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:08 pm

Everyone in the thread has talked about large firms -- and their information is correct. On the other hand, most small firms will not keep you around if you don't pass the bar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:51 pm

OP here: thanks everyone! These are biglaw offers, but thanks racejudicata for adding another perspective in case anyone lurking is in that boat.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”