London office with a spouse Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
londonoffice

New

London office with a spouse

Post by londonoffice » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:08 pm

Anyone done this move with a spouse? I might put my name in for London, but want to know what the work/visa implications will be for my spouse.

Can he work under my visa? Or does he need to get sponsored too? Will there be difficulties for him finding work?

Can he tell people that's qualified to work there based just on my visa?

London office of a large US firm, where I've been an associate in a US office.

nunumaster

Silver

Re: London office with a spouse

Post by nunumaster » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:11 am

Tag interested in this too

londonoffice

New

Post by londonoffice » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:51 am

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-intracompany- ... a/overview

Someone else told me it is likely this, but possible tier 2 general visa based on the fact that we'll make 155+ pounds.

thetravelinglawyer

New

Post by thetravelinglawyer » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:52 pm

Depends on the company and what they will provide. Some companies foot the extra work and expense to secure spousal work visas, some don't. If they don't include it, then likely your spouse will not be able to work, at least for awhile. The UK is tougher on visas than most (though certainly not impossible). Most visas are individual, and so they don't cover the both of you, though certain visa types do have family attachments. You really just have to ask your company and try to negotiate it as part of the expat package.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”