No Questions Asked During Interview? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No Questions Asked During Interview?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:31 pm

I had an interesting interview today with a big firm. The interviewers spent the whole interview telling me about the firm and did not ask me a single question. They were very friendly and enthusiastic, but this threw me off. I was only able to ask them two questions. The firm also selected me to interview with them (not a lottery). Does this suggest anything?

KunAgnis

Bronze

Re: No Questions Asked During Interview?

Post by KunAgnis » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:12 pm

Personally I've had these before and they haven't gone well for me. I think it could be because they don't have interest in the candidate (which is unusual given that you got this as a pre select) and they want to go through the motions. I could be wrong though.

AZ123

New

Post by AZ123 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:20 pm

I had a similar experience with a cb. I felt like they were selling me on the firm the whole time, and I didn't get to ask many questions. I left feeling like they wanted me, but I got dinged.

Moral of the story: Stop reading tea leaves and keep mailing. I hope it works out for you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:27 pm

AZ123 wrote:I had a similar experience with a cb. I felt like they were selling me on the firm the whole time, and I didn't get to ask many questions. I left feeling like they wanted me, but I got dinged.

Moral of the story: Stop reading tea leaves and keep mailing. I hope it works out for you!
Not to add to tea leaves, but I had the same thing happen at a CB w/ a V20. Found it very odd. As we were wrapping up, partner basically told me there were 2 types of candidates he meets with -- those candidates who have to sell themselves to him and those he has to sell the firm to, the latter because they will get numerous offers from peer firms. I got an offer. This may be the latter situation for you as well, OP.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AZ123 wrote:I had a similar experience with a cb. I felt like they were selling me on the firm the whole time, and I didn't get to ask many questions. I left feeling like they wanted me, but I got dinged.

Not to add to tea leaves, but I had the same thing happen at a CB w/ a V20. Found it very odd. As we were wrapping up, partner basically told me there were 2 types of candidates he meets with -- those candidates who have to sell themselves to him and those he has to sell the firm to, the latter because they will get numerous offers from peer firms. I got an offer. This may be the latter situation for you as well, OP.
I do this when interviewing callback candidates who I like. If you've got great credentials, I'll spend a few minutes trying to see if you have some massive personality flaw. Then if you seem cool, I'm going to recommend you for an offer. The rest of the interview is me trying to sell you on my firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”