Magic Circle/Brexit Stability Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Magic Circle/Brexit Stability

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:11 pm

I know there are a lot of factors to consider here, but what are people thinking about the stability of the Magic Circle firms (A&O, Clifford Chance, etc.) at this point?

Anonymous User

Re: Magic Circle/Brexit Stability

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:47 am

They're fine. If anything, Brexit means more work for lawyers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:07 pm

Thank you. I guess I don't know enough about the real-world implications of Brexit, but I was thinking along the lines of the climate of the US financial crisis. An assumption might be that law firms would be busy during a crisis, but if businesses are failing, that might cause some trouble.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:11 pm

i was looking hard at magic circle firms during OCI this year. i asked virtually all the magic circle firms about the effects of brexit. their general spiel was that the firms will be super busy for the next 5 years or so dealing with the fallout from brexit and all the regulatory mess, but two partners at a&o and links said they werent sure what would happen afterwards. so busy in the short term but long term is [???] at the moment. and the fact that they will be busy short term doesnt necessarily mean that YOU as a US associate will be busy. you could be twiddling your thumbs. i'd personally feel iffy about going with a UK firm now, but im in the same position as you outside looking in, so idk for sure what would happen.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”