Should I ask about/negotiate first-year benefit in deciding SA offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I ask about/negotiate first-year benefit in deciding SA offers

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:17 am

Hi! I got a few offers for next summer. I feel typically people will get offers at the end of summer, so deciding which firm to summer pretty much equals which firm to join upon graduation. Given that, do people negotiate their class year bump/sign-on bonus, other benefits upon graduation while considering SA offers? It seems awkward because it is not certain that I will be given the permanent offer.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: Should I ask about/negotiate first-year benefit in deciding SA offers

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:25 am

No, this is done after you receive the full time offer.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:25 pm

What credentials do you have that make you think (any) firm will give you some preferential treatment? (Also, this is not meant to be snark, I'm genuinely curious what (if any) factors--aside from clerkships--would actually negotiate benefits/comp?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi! I got a few offers for next summer. I feel typically people will get offers at the end of summer, so deciding which firm to summer pretty much equals which firm to join upon graduation. Given that, do people negotiate their class year bump/sign-on bonus, other benefits upon graduation while considering SA offers? It seems awkward because it is not certain that I will be given the permanent offer.
As a clarifying point; it's called lock step for a reason. There is no negotiating over benefits and salary when you start at a law firm in biglaw.

ETA: Not applicable to laterals.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:44 am

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi! I got a few offers for next summer. I feel typically people will get offers at the end of summer, so deciding which firm to summer pretty much equals which firm to join upon graduation. Given that, do people negotiate their class year bump/sign-on bonus, other benefits upon graduation while considering SA offers? It seems awkward because it is not certain that I will be given the permanent offer.
As a clarifying point; it's called lock step for a reason. There is no negotiating over benefits and salary when you start at a law firm in biglaw.

ETA: Not applicable to laterals.
That's not uniformly true.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:01 pm

This is called: How to get your offer revoked

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”