Practice post-exam, pre-admission Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

New

Practice post-exam, pre-admission

Post by 20181989 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:18 pm

Question: What ethics rule or canon allows firms to employ you prior to admission to the Bar? E.g., when folks start in, say, October and get sworn in in, say, January? (that period when some firms refer to you as a "Law Clerk").

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Practice post-exam, pre-admission

Post by kellyfrost » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:24 pm

You shouldn't be practicing law until you are sworn in, which is likely why you are a law clerk and not an attorney during this time.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New

Post by 20181989 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:44 pm

Right, so can someone point me to the rule that allows that? I know many of my law school friends worked as "law clerks" at their large firms prior to swearing-in.

denvieboco

New

Post by denvieboco » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:29 pm

This should answer your question: http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/ ... eckdam.pdf

When you are a law clerk, you are performing tasks under the supervision of a licensed attorney. You should be sure to make it apparent to anyone you correspond with that you are not yet admitted and keep a licensed attorney looped in on all work. So, for example, on an email, you would need to cc a licensed attorney on anything resembling legal work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”