People with no offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

People with no offers

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:46 pm

Among all the "which offer should I pick?" threads I'm losing my sanity here. Please tell me I'm not alone.
Finished all callbacks. Rejections from some, the rest have ignored me for three weeks by now. Am I going to strike out?

Anonymous User

Re: People with no offers

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:49 pm

Nah you're not alone, haven't even gotten a callback. Did 20 screeners during OCI, at a lower T14 and just a hair above median. Guessing I'm social incompetent at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Nah you're not alone, haven't even gotten a callback. Did 20 screeners during OCI, at a lower T14 and just a hair above median. Guessing I'm social incompetent at this point.
Also in this boat. Pretty much to a T.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:02 pm

Guys, it's not even September yet. Keep mailing, I know this sucks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:11 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:Guys, it's not even September yet. Keep mailing, I know this sucks.
^This. I talked on the phone with several recruiters in a secondary market I applied to and they won't even start to make decisions until sometime in September. It's still early.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:23 pm

Don't be discouraged; keep mailing.

Remember: the people with more than one offer in August from OCI will accept exactly one. People who get one offer in September from MMing will also accept exactly one. It just takes one offer, and there are many avenues to getting that offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Among all the "which offer should I pick?" threads I'm losing my sanity here. Please tell me I'm not alone.
Finished all callbacks. Rejections from some, the rest have ignored me for three weeks by now. Am I going to strike out?
After 3 weeks, I hope you have reached out to recruiting to ask what's up. If anything, even if it's a rejection, you'll know and it'll motivate you to apply elsewhere.

Keep your chin up and good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Among all the "which offer should I pick?" threads I'm losing my sanity here. Please tell me I'm not alone.
+1. This feels so awful especially when all your friends have offers. Their encouragement just feels pathetic at this point.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:33 am

I suspect that those asking for advice on choosing among the V5 firms suffer from a loathsome social disease.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:49 am

hey guys, UC Berkeley student here, striking out. 17 Screeners, 2 CBs, 1 CB ding, 1 waiting to hear from.

#StrikeoutCrew

Been mailing, and applying to 25 atty firms...Jesus

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:27 am

Wild Card wrote:I suspect that those asking for advice on choosing among the V5 firms suffer from a loathsome social disease.
Don't, they're in a better position than you but they still have real decisions to make too.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:hey guys, UC Berkeley student here, striking out. 17 Screeners, 2 CBs, 1 CB ding, 1 waiting to hear from.

#StrikeoutCrew

Been mailing, and applying to 25 atty firms...Jesus
The horror.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:49 am

Clearly wrote:
Wild Card wrote:I suspect that those asking for advice on choosing among the V5 firms suffer from a loathsome social disease.
Don't, they're in a better position than you but they still have real decisions to make too.
Lol. Obvious sarcasm met with such seriousness.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yogotti

New

Post by yogotti » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:30 am

I am rowing along in the boat. Trying to keep my head up. 24 screeners, 2 callbacks, nothing.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:53 am

Last year, I had 4 CB interviews on a fairly normal timeline post-screeners and received 2 offers, but not until mid-to-late September. Likely, I was a second or third choice once their numbers started shaking out. I'm going to a secondary market for family reasons (and that offer didn't come until the last week in September).

You can't do anything about the timeline. A boomer sales guy once told me that his leads/sales calls/networking calls were like making sausage. Just keep jamming the meat in and turning the handle...that's all you can control. Don't just stare anxiously at the output and wait.

Odd as it was, it stuck with me. Keep mass mailing!

yogotti

New

Post by yogotti » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:01 am

MT Cicero wrote: Just keep jamming the meat in and turning the handle...
Words to live by!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:26 am

I'm considering sending a thank you email that includes "If extended an offer, I plan to accept" to the firm I just had my last callback with. Too desperate? I don't want to risk turning them off but I'm feeling that they're my only hope at this point
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm considering sending a thank you email that includes "If extended an offer, I plan to accept" to the firm I just had my last callback with. Too desperate? I don't want to risk turning them off at this point but I'm feeling that they're my only hope at this point
That would be seriously cringe-worthy. Please don't.

If you don't get an offer, volunteer somewhere. The federal judge I interned for during the academic year was seriously over-worked and would have taken as many volunteers as she could. Better than doing nothing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:38 am

1styearlateral wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm considering sending a thank you email that includes "If extended an offer, I plan to accept" to the firm I just had my last callback with. Too desperate? I don't want to risk turning them off at this point but I'm feeling that they're my only hope at this point
That would be seriously cringe-worthy. Please don't.

If you don't get an offer, volunteer somewhere. The federal judge I interned for during the academic year was seriously over-worked and would have taken as many volunteers as she could. Better than doing nothing.
I think I knew that but needed to hear it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:51 pm

This situation is killing me slowly inside

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:22 pm

I received a few offers in mid Sept. last year from firms where folks had turned them down last minute. Chin up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:31 pm

Keep mailing.

At this time last year I hadn't received the CB (that I got through MM) that lead to my only offer.

It isn't over. You just need to grind.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:11 pm

I struck out last year and continued to mass mail into October. I eventually received an offer in a market I was not really focusing on or expecting.

Expand your mass mail coverage. Start targeting secondary markets if you left them off the table initially. There are plenty of firms off the Vault list paying six figures. Streamline your process and cast a wide net.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:This situation is killing me slowly inside
I feel it. It's like each day... you're hopeful a request for interview will come... but with each passing day.. the SA market gets more and more full...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:24 pm

I only had 1 CB but ding from that CB. No further CBs despite mass mailing. This is hopeless and depressing!
:cry:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”