Help Me Pick My Firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help Me Pick My Firm

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:26 pm

Thought it might be nice to get a little bit of a compilation going here. If people like the idea, feel free to follow suit.

Market(s): Chicago
Firms you are considering: Ropes & Gray, McDermott, Winston & Strawn
Practice group interest: Lit, not really set on any particular area within lit but do have an eye toward trial practices (to the extent they exist)
Other considerations: I'm not sure if it is more advantageous to stick with a more nationally reputable firm (Ropes) that has limited litigation practices in its Chicago office or to go with bigger Chicago litigation players (McDermott, Winston) that have less of a national rep.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Help Me Pick My Firm

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thought it might be nice to get a little bit of a compilation going here. If people like the idea, feel free to follow suit.

Practice group interest: Lit, not really set on any particular area within lit but do have an eye toward trial practices (to the extent they exist)
Other considerations: Looking to end up in a good position to potentially lateral into my home secondary market within 2-5 years. I'm not sure if it is more advantageous to stick with a more nationally reputable firm (Ropes) that has limited litigation practices in its Chicago office or to go with bigger Chicago litigation players (McDermott, Winston) that have less of a national rep. Also children may be on the horizon so any info regarding maternity leave/ramp up policies is helpful too.
Winston and its not even close. Ropes has almost no (maybe a tiny bit?) of lit in Chicago. McDermott silos you off in your summer program, so no guarantee you'll be doing lit (and its not really what they are known for). Winston has a strong group and is one of the top names in Chicago.

Also, I'm assuming you have offers from all three?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:19 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thought it might be nice to get a little bit of a compilation going here. If people like the idea, feel free to follow suit.

Other considerations: Looking to end up in a good position to potentially lateral into my home secondary market within 2-5 years. I'm not sure if it is more advantageous to stick with a more nationally reputable firm (Ropes) that has limited litigation practices in its Chicago office or to go with bigger Chicago litigation players (McDermott, Winston) that have less of a national rep. Also children may be on the horizon so any info regarding maternity leave/ramp up policies is helpful too.
Winston and its not even close. Ropes has almost no (maybe a tiny bit?) of lit in Chicago. McDermott silos you off in your summer program, so no guarantee you'll be doing lit (and its not really what they are known for). Winston has a strong group and is one of the top names in Chicago.

Also, I'm assuming you have offers from all three?
Thanks for the info - and yes, offers from all three.

Sideshow Raheem

New

Post by Sideshow Raheem » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:23 pm

Last edited by Sideshow Raheem on Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:02 pm

Sideshow Raheem wrote:Fuck Winston.

I'd go with Ropes here. At least based on their website/NALP, they're about 50% lit in Chicago so I'm not sure where this idea that they don't have a litigation practice in their Chicago office came from. Obviously if OP has done a CB there recently and got that impression, that's fair. In which case I guess go with Winston but fuck Winston.

McDermott seems cool but I wouldn't really go there with a strong interest in doing lit.
First off... Winston probably has at least double, maybe triple, shit, maybe even quadruple the number of litigation folks in Chicago. Second, if memory serves me, Winston is Band 1 lit in Chicago.. pretty sure Ropes is not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sideshow Raheem

New

Post by Sideshow Raheem » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:08 pm

Last edited by Sideshow Raheem on Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:23 pm

I'll play as well

Market: NYC
Options: Chadbourne, Schulte, Kaye Scholer, Hogan & White and Case
Practice Group: Lit but open to exploring some transactional stuff

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:36 pm

ReChicago lit, I'd go Winston as well. Sure possible concerns about no offers/stealth, but those are (1) always rare and (2) still doesn't mean Winston has the far superior lit practice.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:54 pm

Sideshow Raheem wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Sideshow Raheem wrote:Fuck Winston.

I'd go with Ropes here. At least based on their website/NALP, they're about 50% lit in Chicago so I'm not sure where this idea that they don't have a litigation practice in their Chicago office came from. Obviously if OP has done a CB there recently and got that impression, that's fair. In which case I guess go with Winston but fuck Winston.

McDermott seems cool but I wouldn't really go there with a strong interest in doing lit.
First off... Winston probably has at least double, maybe triple, shit, maybe even quadruple the number of litigation folks in Chicago. Second, if memory serves me, Winston is Band 1 lit in Chicago.. pretty sure Ropes is not.
Winston also has a track record of no-offering/stealthing associates when times get tough while Ropes and MWE (to my knowledge) don't.
Every firm did this. Winston and Latham are egregious examples of horrible PR management but we've had this discussion before on TLS - when the going got bad every firm did what they could to remain extremely profitable for its partners.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:09 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:09 pm

I would love some help.

NYC
Want to do litigation (interested now in a variety of things, including copyright/trademark, white collar, and general commercial--primary interest is just in being able to do a variety of litigation matters at the outset)

Options: Covington, Kirkland, Debevoise, Latham, Weil, Paul Weiss, Akin Gump, Cleary

While I know Kirkland is a good place for lit, I'm generally put off by the free market system/aggressive culture. I'm leaning toward Paul Weiss/Debevoise/Latham as my top options, atm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would love some help.

NYC
Want to do litigation (interested now in a variety of things, including copyright/trademark, white collar, and general commercial--primary interest is just in being able to do a variety of litigation matters at the outset)

Options: Covington, Kirkland, Debevoise, Latham, Weil, Paul Weiss, Akin Gump, Cleary

While I know Kirkland is a good place for lit, I'm generally put off by the free market system/aggressive culture. I'm leaning toward Paul Weiss/Debevoise/Latham as my top options, atm.
PW.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

NYC

PW.
Same poster here. Reasons? I'm leaning toward that, too, because of what I want to do, but I don't have the best sense of the culture there. I've heard some conflicting things.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:41 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on:

DC lit: Hogan, A&P, Covington, Kirkland, Cleary?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on:

This + Jenner, OMM, Gibson, W&C, Wilmer??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:54 pm

Probably A&P followed by Covington if you have more of a reg interest

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe split?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:38 pm

I like Covington here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I like Covington here.
Me too. I'd go Covington.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe split?
OP here. Not interested in splitting. Want to be a generalist at first if that makes a difference. Would love to dabble in anything but patents (preliminary interest in antitrust and maybe white collar but not sure).

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:49 pm

NYC

This is an egregious NALP violation. Only allowed I think 5 open offers. Turn down firms you aren't going to. Don't let it come back and bite you in the ass.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:33 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:

NYC

This is an egregious NALP violation. Only allowed I think 5 open offers. Turn down firms you aren't going to. Don't let it come back and bite you in the ass.
No, it's not. I have a week from the receipt of my sixth offer to release one. With seven, I obviously have to release two.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

NYC

No, it's not. I have a week from the receipt of my sixth offer to release one. With seven, I obviously have to release two.
Your post shows 8, no? Also, you are missing a comma.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:42 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

NYC

Oh right. I was counting Cleary though the offer hasn't come in yet; I just didn't want to come add it later. Well, whatever. Read the NALP guidelines. My last two came in the last couple days. I'm good.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

NYC

Oh right. I was counting Cleary though the offer hasn't come in yet; I just didn't want to come add it later. Well, whatever. Read the NALP guidelines. My last two came in the last couple days. I'm good.
Smh... I promise you, you will not win any awards for having 7-8 outstanding offers, regardless of NALP rules. I trust that you have narrowed it down from the current list? Go ahead a let those firms know so the firm can potentially extend another offer. Not saying you need to make a decision or even rush your decision, but be honest with yourself...you aren't choosing between eight god forsaken firms.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”