Continuing education in resume Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zot1

Gold

Continuing education in resume

Post by zot1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:04 pm

How do y'all put significant continuing education on your resume? For example, if you took a two-day ethics course from GAO, how would you add it?

zot1

Gold

Re: Continuing education in resume

Post by zot1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:03 pm

Someone must know :(

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:49 pm

Is that the only related item? If you have more than one you could put it under a section labeled:
Courses
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:02 pm

It's not. I have a handful already. Courses seems odd to me but I appreciate the help.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:27 pm

You are welcome. Kind of a tough question to answer because I have never seen a resume list such a thing or never even heard of such a thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:34 pm

kellyfrost wrote:You are welcome. Kind of a tough question to answer because I have never seen a resume list such a thing or never even heard of such a thing.
But you're not an attorney yet, right?

I ask because the training is significant and would be helpful in framing my experience.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:44 pm

zot1 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:You are welcome. Kind of a tough question to answer because I have never seen a resume list such a thing or never even heard of such a thing.

I ask because the training is significant and would be helpful in framing my experience.
I am an attorney. If it helps frame your experience then go for it. Not saying it is wrong, just saying I've never seen it or heard of it. All attorneys take CLE courses and none like it.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:52 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
zot1 wrote:

I am an attorney. If it helps frame your experience then go for it. Not saying it is wrong, just saying I've never seen it or heard of it. All attorneys take CLE courses and none like it.
Ah my bad. I misunderstood one of your posts I read a while back.

This isn't CLE per se. I just didn't know how else to explain it. Anyway, I still appreciate the help.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:02 am

kellyfrost wrote:
zot1 wrote:

I mean it was a two-day course, how significant could it be? I'm thinking it might be kinda awkward when someone asks you about it assuming it was a real thing and you have to explain that it was only two days but you found it significant enough to list on your resume. Might come off as trying to exaggerate its importance. But that's just me

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:28 am

GoneSouth wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
zot1 wrote:

I mean it was a two-day course, how significant could it be? I'm thinking it might be kinda awkward when someone asks you about it assuming it was a real thing and you have to explain that it was only two days but you found it significant enough to list on your resume. Might come off as trying to exaggerate its importance. But that's just me
Significant when you put all the courses together. Plus other were longer but I run the risk of outing myself if I specify the class and length.

I'm not dumb, I wouldn't call something significant experience unless I believed it to be so.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:53 pm

zot1 wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
zot1 wrote:

Significant when you put all the courses together. Plus other were longer but I run the risk of outing myself if I specify the class and length.

I'm not dumb, I wouldn't call something significant experience unless I believed it to be so.
Understood, I'm just saying that unless the interviewer also thinks it's significant, it may look like you're trying to pad your resume. If it's something that everyone is going to think is significant, list it by all means.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:04 pm

zot1 wrote:

I've never seen this on a resume (am a lawyer).

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:53 pm

Thanks, guys. A senior colleague suggested adding under relevant experience. I'm gonna play with that.

Thanks again!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”