What to do about expiring offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to do about expiring offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:35 pm

So I was fortunate enough to receive a pre-oci offer from a firm I like, but this offer is about to expire (in a little less than a week. There are 2 or 3 other firms that I would possibly prefer, but I haven't heard back from any of them (had cbs, but still waiting). What is the right way to approach this scenario? I know that I should call/email the recruiters at these firms, but what should I say? Is it ok to press these firms for a decision even if I end up not accepting their offer (if I get one)?

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Re: What to do about expiring offer?

Post by Dr. Nefario » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:04 am

Press recruiting for decisions and/or ask for an extension, don't let it expire. The way this cycle is going, you don't wanna be stuck outside in the rain thinking the key is under the mat when you could've parked in the garage.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:14 am

Dr. Nefario wrote:The way this cycle is going, you don't wanna be stuck outside in the rain thinking the key is under the mat when you could've parked in the garage.
i dont get this 100% but its awesome

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:The way this cycle is going, you don't wanna be stuck outside in the rain thinking the key is under the mat when you could've parked in the garage.
OP here. Yeah there's no way I would let the existing offer expire. I guess my question is more about whether I can press one of my preferred firms for an offer by saying that I would rather work at their firm, and then end up not accepting it (if one of my other preferred firms gave me an offer as well).

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here. Yeah there's no way I would let the existing offer expire. I guess my question is more about whether I can press one of my preferred firms for an offer by saying that I would rather work at their firm, and then end up not accepting it (if one of my other preferred firms gave me an offer as well).
IMO during OCI every firm probably expects to hear they're your "top" firm, so yeah press away.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

enibs

Bronze

Post by enibs » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I was fortunate enough to receive a pre-oci offer from a firm I like, but this offer is about to expire (in a little less than a week. There are 2 or 3 other firms that I would possibly prefer, but I haven't heard back from any of them (had cbs, but still waiting). What is the right way to approach this scenario? I know that I should call/email the recruiters at these firms, but what should I say? Is it ok to press these firms for a decision even if I end up not accepting their offer (if I get one)?
Don't press, but definitely inform (in fact, most firms will ask you to tell them if you have deadlines from other firms). Just call and say that you have an offer expiring on x date (tell them the exact date it expires) and ask if they could tell you when you can expect to hear from their firm. Don't say their firm is your top choice if it's not true. Fine to say you would prefer their firm to the firm where you have the expiring offer, but they'll assume that by virtue of the fact that you're calling them (if that weren't true, presumably you wouldn't be calling them). If they know you have a deadline, they will try to get you a decision before your deadline if they can.

You can also ask the firm where you have an offer for an extension of the deadline (though, of course, it's better to hear from the other firm before your deadline if that's possible). Some firms will give extensions as a matter of course, but some won't. Also, under NALP rules, a firm giving a pre-OCI offer is supposed to hold the offer open for at least 28 days from the first day of your school's OCI. Unless your school started OCI in July, your offer shouldn't be expiring in less than a week. If the firm is violating the NALP rule, it may be worth letting your career services office know.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:17 am

enibs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I was fortunate enough to receive a pre-oci offer from a firm I like, but this offer is about to expire (in a little less than a week. There are 2 or 3 other firms that I would possibly prefer, but I haven't heard back from any of them (had cbs, but still waiting). What is the right way to approach this scenario? I know that I should call/email the recruiters at these firms, but what should I say? Is it ok to press these firms for a decision even if I end up not accepting their offer (if I get one)?
Don't press, but definitely inform (in fact, most firms will ask you to tell them if you have deadlines from other firms). Just call and say that you have an offer expiring on x date (tell them the exact date it expires) and ask if they could tell you when you can expect to hear from their firm. Don't say their firm is your top choice if it's not true. Fine to say you would prefer their firm to the firm where you have the expiring offer, but they'll assume that by virtue of the fact that you're calling them (if that weren't true, presumably you wouldn't be calling them). If they know you have a deadline, they will try to get you a decision before your deadline if they can.

You can also ask the firm where you have an offer for an extension of the deadline (though, of course, it's better to hear from the other firm before your deadline if that's possible). Some firms will give extensions as a matter of course, but some won't. Also, under NALP rules, a firm giving a pre-OCI offer is supposed to hold the offer open for at least 28 days from the first day of your school's OCI. Unless your school started OCI in July, your offer shouldn't be expiring in less than a week. If the firm is violating the NALP rule, it may be worth letting your career services office know.
Ya... don't do this. Do not report the firm that has given you an offer to your Career services.

enibs

Bronze

Post by enibs » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:59 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Ya... don't do this. Do not report the firm that has given you an offer to your Career services.
Okay, after I posted I figured someone might object to this, and I agree it's best not to do this while the offer is pending or if OP accepts the offer. But if OP ultimately rejects the offer - and if the deadline the firm set is in fact a violation of NALP rules - OP would be doing everyone a favor to report it. The whole system is screwed up enough as it is without firms undermining the minimal protections that the NALP rules provide. The only way the schools can keep firms from doing this is if they know about violations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Even if this happened, who really cares. It's your life; the firm wouldn't do anything about it.

nemrac11

New

Post by nemrac11 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:56 pm

When did your OCI start? If I'm not mistaken, the 28 days doesn't start, regardless of when the offer was given, until the first day of your school's OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”