Thank you Email Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thank you Email

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:23 pm

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but is it well-advised to email and thank the hiring partner (we hit it off) and also ASK him/her about the timeline concerning offers? He/she said to please be in contact should any questions come to mind. I was totally going to ask during the interview, but got lost in small talk.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Thank you Email

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but is it well-advised to email and thank the hiring partner (we hit it off) and also ASK him/her about the timeline concerning offers? He/she said to please be in contact should any questions come to mind. I was totally going to ask during the interview, but got lost in small talk.
Probably not. I'm sure the offer timeline is the same as all the others.

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Post by jimmythecatdied6 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:34 pm

No.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:55 pm

jimmythecatdied6 wrote:No.

Thanks for the advice. I realize I'm being frantic.

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Post by jimmythecatdied6 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:02 pm

If you hit it off with the hiring partner, it sounds like you're in pretty good shape. Don't screw that up by emailing him/her with a dumb question! If you really care about the hiring timeline, contact the recruiting department.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fxb3

New

Post by fxb3 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:39 pm

Especially after the way that recruiting has become so compressed for us at the firms over the last couple of years, it's actually kind of an internally stressful time. We have tons of callbacks coming through, trying to find people to interview candidates while everyone's basically on vacation because it's August, still some folks out doing OCI screeners, hiring committee meetings twice a week at least, etc. All that is to say that my gut reaction if you bothered me to ask when you would get an offer would be an exasperated, "you'll hear from us when you hear." I would say something more diplomatic, of course, but emailing to ask the question just strikes me as unnecessary and irritating for them -- it's taking your stress of not knowing when you'll hear and projecting it onto them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:03 pm

No. Don't do it. I hate it when my interviewees do this. They all sound the same. I am not hiring partner but a lowly juniro associate- but still.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:14 pm

I don't understand the thing I see a lot on here which is people asking their interviewers about the hiring timeline. If you have an offer expiring, that's one thing. But if you just want to know, suck it up. You don't want to ever come off like you're putting pressure on the firm to tell you sooner than they want to unless you have a good reason for it. This is a bad question to ask in almost every situation

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:49 pm

OP here- I resisted the temporary urge. Thanks for pulling me in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”