Trial period on a new job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
L_William_W

Bronze

Trial period on a new job

Post by L_William_W » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:23 pm

After months of begging, kissing asses, and prostituting myself, I finally got a job at a law firm. The only caveat is that there'll be an unpaid probationary period lasting a few months. Once that period ends, they'll decided whether to offer me a full time job. I really need the money and I'm really eager to succeed. Is there anything specific that I should and shouldn't do?

Please, helpful advice only

ClubberLang

Bronze

Re: Trial period on a new job

Post by ClubberLang » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:29 pm

An unpaid probationary period sounds really shitty. How do they expect you to eat? Maybe you could negotiate a small salary or advance against future earnings, or commission only depending on type of practice?

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:31 pm

Actually, it sounds a bit illegal. I'm by no means a labor/employment lawyer, but I'm pretty sure if it's a firm and you are doing work for them, you have to be paid.

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Post by What the f.supp? » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:33 pm

Try to nail down exactly when this trial period ends. It's in the company's interest to extend that period of free labor as long as they can; your interest is the exact opposite. Work hard, get along with everyone, and demonstrate an eagerness to learn and assist with anything that is needed. Best of luck!

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:33 pm

Not a labor attorney either but I've heard unpaid probationary periods are illegal. Might want to look into that.

Although, I mean, if you really want the job what else can you do right?

Also, tagging since interested

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:43 pm

It may be illegal depending on the state and the type of work you do for them.

This is not what you asked for, but you may want to consider whether this is a firm you would even want to work for. A more decent place would have offer you a salary, even if a modest one.

As to what you do want, work hard, make good impressions, get the offer. But while you do that, apply to other places that are decent enough to pay you.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:56 pm

Maybe they are classifying this as some sort of internship or volunteer program? Not sure. They won't even pay you minimum wage during this "period?"
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:05 pm

Almost certainly illegal. The relevant DOL regs are strict. Unpaid internships must primarily for the benefit of the intern, not the employer. To the extent an employer benefits from an intern's work, generally speaking, the intern must be compensated. This is a somewhat thorny issue b/c these regs were ignored for a long time. But recently, as you may have noticed with the class action suits, courts are beginning the law in this area more seriously.

In this case, they'll probably be billing out your time, and my opinion is that this is straight illegal, particularly depending on what state you are in. That being, should you accept and hope they hire you? I dunno, probably. You can always sue for unpaid wages at the end :).

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:14 pm

Also, if this turns into a real job they are unlikely to offer a fair salary. After passing the bar, you deserve to be paid for your work. I'd tell these guys to pay you or shove it

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”