How bad is this? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How bad is this?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:59 am

Just got my thank you emails mixed up and sent one to the wrong attorney. Have I screwed up my chances for what was otherwise a great set of interviews?

GoneSouth

Bronze

Re: How bad is this?

Post by GoneSouth » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:06 am

We should save this thread as Exhibit A for why you shouldn't send thank you emails.

As for the substance of the question, it's not a good look, but hopefully they already submitted their evaluation of you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:28 am

OP, I did the exact same thing after I had an interview. Person didnt care; i sent a follow-up after i noticed saying ''I realize i misaddressed you, my apologies''. Got a Callback.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:15 am

GoneSouth wrote:We should save this thread as Exhibit A for why you shouldn't send thank you emails.

Genius

Silver

Post by Genius » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:32 am

rpupkin wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:We should save this thread as Exhibit A for why you shouldn't send thank you emails.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:34 am

For God's sake people stop sending thank you emails. Everyone I've interviewed so far has sent one, but the only one I remember is the guy who misspelled the firm name.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:33 am

I have not sent a single thank you (and have even been told by some of my interviewers not to send one for the listed reason), but I find it odd when an attorney provides their business card at the close of an interview. It seems like they are indicating that they would like a thank-you note.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have not sent a single thank you (and have even been told by some of my interviewers not to send one for the listed reason), but I find it odd when an attorney provides their business card at the close of an interview. It seems like they are indicating that they would like a thank-you note.
No. No they arent. They just want to get to give out business cards.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have not sent a single thank you (and have even been told by some of my interviewers not to send one for the listed reason), but I find it odd when an attorney provides their business card at the close of an interview. It seems like they are indicating that they would like a thank-you note.
No. No they arent. They just want to get to give out business cards.
Yeah, most are tired of looking at the box(es) of them sitting on their desk.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:20 am

Or they just want to keep in touch. Some lawyers genuinely like keeping in touch with candidates they really liked, and are open to taking questions.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:32 pm

Genius wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:51 pm

definitely not the case. I hand them out because what else am I going to do with those fucking things. Only other use is dropping a bunch in those business-card drawings at restaurants (won a $200 dinner once)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:54 pm

gk101 wrote:
definitely not the case. I hand them out because what else am I going to do with those fucking things. Only other use is dropping a bunch in those business-card drawings at restaurants (won a $200 dinner once)
Would you ding a candidate who messed up your name with someone else's on the email?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got my thank you emails mixed up and sent one to the wrong attorney. Have I screwed up my chances for what was otherwise a great set of interviews?
Depends on a couple of things. Here are some ways it could play out. If the person was an associate, there is a good chance they already filled out the evaluation. In that case, probably NBD.

If a partner, they may bring it back up in a discussion of whether you should be hired. If they really liked you, it will be overlooked. If you are borderline, you're probably done.

ETA: I think business cards are generally handed out as a way to say if you WANT to follow-up, i.e., have a genuine question, then you can. I don't think they are a sign that the attorney wants a thank you note. I personally got offers with and without sending notes. For the firm at which I work (which was my first choice), I did not send them.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
gk101 wrote:
Would you ding a candidate who messed up your name with someone else's on the email?
the decision to offer someone a callback or not is usually made really quickly and generally before I get the thank-you note. I probably wouldn't make the effort to go back and change my recommendation over a mistake like that.

That being said, one guy sent a thank you note to another associate here (who had a non-traditional way of spelling his name) and spelled the name the traditional way and added that the associate's name was spelled incorrectly on the business card. Don't do that

eta: I would never change a no to a yes based off of a thank you note. They really have zero upside

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:02 pm

gk101 wrote:That being said, one guy sent a thank you note to another associate here (who had a non-traditional way of spelling his name) and spelled the name the traditional way and added that the associate's name was spelled incorrectly on the business card. Don't do that.
Dear god what is wrong with this world.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:06 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
gk101 wrote:That being said, one guy sent a thank you note to another associate here (who had a non-traditional way of spelling his name) and spelled the name the traditional way and added that the associate's name was spelled incorrectly on the business card. Don't do that.
I just...wow.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:26 pm

landshoes wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
I just...wow.
How did that guy even get to the callback stage?

Anyway, OP here. Hoping that I didn't destroy my chances, but haven't received a response from the attorney/ :(

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:11 pm

malibustacy wrote:
Or they just want to keep in touch. Some lawyers genuinely like keeping in touch with candidates they really liked, and are open to taking questions.
Yes. I even do this for people who I don't particularly like. It's just courtesy. But if I liked the person and am fairly confident they will get an offer, I will try to make it clear that I am genuinely happy to answer any questions they may have.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
landshoes wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
I just...wow.
How did that guy even get to the callback stage?

Anyway, OP here. Hoping that I didn't destroy my chances, but haven't received a response from the attorney/ :(
the "thank you" note was after the screener. It's almost always unnecessary and occasionally harmful.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”