I am terrible at my job. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I am terrible at my job.

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:03 pm

Approaching my first full year at a NYC v5 (Corporate), I still suck at this.

Anyone else feel this way? I feel like I am just trying not to get fired so I can eventually lateral...

zot1

Gold

Re: I am terrible at my job.

Post by zot1 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:34 pm

Like you feel you don't know anything (totally normal) or more like your work product is terrible (might be a problem)?

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:42 pm

Yeah its really impossible for us to say whether you have impostor syndrome or just suck at your job. What is your feedback? Do you sense passive-aggressive snark over email? Do partners come to you when they have a problem?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:09 pm

I tend to make some sloppy mistakes in documents and in managing tasks (because I often feel totally lost concerning the subject matter of what I am doing).

I have been trying to focus on slowing down, triple checking stuff - but there is always tension between that and getting things out quickly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:21 am

Not sure if it's too late to respond to you, but this is pretty normal. I would say slow down (hard to do when you're overstaffed but try) and triple check everything when you can. I felt this way too. At my v5, the consequences for having these issues is just lower level work (drudgery) as a midlevel rather than jerb loss.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:28 am

I disagree with anon. Consistent sloppy work product will get you canned. Are the time constrains self impossed? If so, that might be something you want to adjust.

Also, I always print out my final draft of briefs/motions because I catch minor errors that way. Have you tried that?

Get creative and minimize the errors. If you go through a document three times and still miss stuff, you really want to reconsider your approach.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:32 am

zot1 wrote:I disagree with anon. Consistent sloppy work product will get you canned. Are the time constrains self impossed? If so, that might be something you want to adjust.

Also, I always print out my final draft of briefs/motions because I catch minor errors that way. Have you tried that?

Get creative and minimize the errors. If you go through a document three times and still miss stuff, you really want to reconsider your approach.
Thanks, this is helpful.

I am in corporate so I tend to have to turn a lot of documents very quickly. A lot of the times these involve forms and not written language, so it can make it difficult to spot something wrong amidst all of the information on the page.

Do you think people get canned as 1-2nd years, though?

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:36 am

I posted a similar thread a while back because I was making stupid fucking mistakes all the time (wrong captions, not deleting a part of an argument, etc.). Consensus was to slow down and focus on doing perfect work.

Work has been better since then. I know it sounds simple, but slow down. My process is usually this:

(1) Draft and review it.
(2) Print and review it.
(3) Do another project for a while.
(4) Print and review it again, this time with a special focus on accuracy (spelling of names, correct numbers...you need to pull out the underlying documents and make sure everything matches).
(5) Final review (grammar, punctuation, etc.), preferably the next day.

The caveat to this is that you need to give yourself enough time to do all this. Anecdotal example:

A partner came to me yesterday at about 5:00 and wants me to draft a demand letter for some sign fabrication company. $125,000 in dispute. Tons of invoices, purchase orders, he-said she-said emails, etc. He wants it by Thursday morning. So I took all the bullshit home to review last night and came in and drafted it first thing this morning. The printed copy is on my desk. I'll review it when I'm done TLSing and probably again after lunch. I'll do a final review at the end of the day. If he didn't need it until Friday I'd sleep on it, but I think I might score a few points just by getting it to him tonight, so I'm going to forward it to him tonight.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:I disagree with anon. Consistent sloppy work product will get you canned. Are the time constrains self impossed? If so, that might be something you want to adjust.

Thanks, this is helpful.

I am in corporate so I tend to have to turn a lot of documents very quickly. A lot of the times these involve forms and not written language, so it can make it difficult to spot something wrong amidst all of the information on the page.

Do you think people get canned as 1-2nd years, though?
Everyone makes mistakes, especially at the beginning. Try to learn the forms and what changes so you don't make the same mistake(s) over and over again. Otherwise, I feel like the job is just confidence. Not bravado or bragging, confidence. You have the answers. You get things done. You are on top of everything. Fake it until you make it - you've gotten this far.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:56 pm

Yeah the keyword on what I said is "consistent". If a superior has to consistently correct you on the same stuff, they will eventually want to get rid of you.

But this isn't something you should be worried about because you can't control it. What you can control is your work product and you've gotten great advice here on how to make it better.

notgreat

Silver

Post by notgreat » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:16 pm

If you have trouble catching typos and misspellings I can definitely recommend reading the document backwards. I always had issues with catching typos and misspellings and reading backwards really helped me.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:37 pm

Genius

Silver

Post by Genius » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:29 pm

Fantastic advice here. I have smaill firm lit exp and I never felt lost. However, i am sure this isnt the same when i go biglaw

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”