Job offer for cco- want to change title to reflect legal Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Job offer for cco- want to change title to reflect legal

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:49 pm

So long story short. I received an otherwise great offer to be the cco of an institution. There are no lawyers working at the place (I'd be first).

I want To ask them to add something to the cco title to reflect this like "general counsel and cco, or chief legal and compliance officer".

The work will be mostly compliance but there will be at least some in house type work as well. Any advice on this count from you guys? Anything to watch out for?

synergy

New

Re: Job offer for cco- want to change title to reflect legal

Post by synergy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So long story short. I received an otherwise great offer to be the cco of an institution. There are no lawyers working at the place (I'd be first).

I want To ask them to add something to the cco title to reflect this like "general counsel and cco, or chief legal and compliance officer".

The work will be mostly compliance but there will be at least some in house type work as well. Any advice on this count from you guys? Anything to watch out for?
Is this funds and/or banking compliance? If so, I currently work in compliance and have had a "legal" job title with many compliance duties and my current "compliance" job title with some legal duties. I wasn't too hung up on titles, but from talking to people the sense I got was that the more senior you are (and I'm assuming you're pretty senior if you're a cco), the more willing employers are to give a token "counsel" title to compliance people even with zero legal duties. In your situation, particularly since an offer is already out, I wouldn't hesitate to ask for at least a cco and counsel title, with the potential to become general counsel/cco.

Also, would love a pm for general advice if you'd be willing.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:27 pm

Why does it matter?
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:23 am

FSK wrote:Why does it matter?
If you want to transition to a more legal role at a different firm later on, it will be much easier if you also had a concurrent legal title even if you had no purely legal duties.

What I most typically see is General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer or Assistant General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer in larger organizations with a dedicated GC. Sometimes I've seen Senior Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer. You may want to ask for that one if they won't give you a GC title.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”