Requesting "diverse" interviewers at CBs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Requesting "diverse" interviewers at CBs

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:06 pm

Have a NY interview coming up and they encourage callback candidates to request "diverse" interviewers, if they're interested. Anyone done this? Upsides/downsides?

Anonymous User

Re: Requesting "diverse" interviewers at CBs

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:40 pm

I'm a URM and my interviews with "diverse" people tended to be harder. I don't know if that was just my perception, if I relaxed too much due to a perceived affinity with the interviewers, or whether they wanted to show recruiting that they weren't being biased by not giving a green light to me. I got offers for 4 out of 6 V20s. The two for which I didn't get offers for were one where I requested the diverse interviewers and another where a few of my interviewers happened to be diverse. In all instances, they were the same race as I was.

In the end, therefore, I don't think taking up that offer necessarily gives you an advantage, so make whatever decision you're more comfortable with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:44 pm

V20 (3rd year associate AA/F here): Most likely the firm will match you with diverse interviewers even if you don't request; gives them a chance to "show how diverse" they are. I wouldn't request.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:18 pm

I did when I was interviewing. I think it put me in front of people who can relate to me easier. It probably increase your chances because of that, however slightly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:23 pm

I am not a urm and firms went to great lengths to put me with people with similar backgrounds, too. E.g. same undergrad, law school, region of origin, prelaw career. It was pretty rare there was an interview where I didn't have some surface level thing in common with the person, and I have a pretty unique background; in other words, I'd expect they will put you with urms whether you request it or not, so I'd choose "not"

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:11 am

The difference is if you request you will surely get it ( I've received last minute requests to interview on 5 minute notice because the candidate requested it and someone became unavailable) whereas if you don't if you may not get them based on availability. They either don't schedule one if they can't find someone or they won't find a replacement.

ETA I really don't see any downsides.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”